diy solar

diy solar

Help - Help - Inverter Output Wiring connection

key5000

Hello Everyone,
I'm new here and would like to know how do you have your inverter output connect to household load?
Do you disconnect the household load from main breaker and connect it to the inverter output then inverter output connect to the load?

Here is what I'm thinking for my wiring setup, please let me know if this is the right way to do and do I need to add any breaker or switch to it?

1603815922018.png

I'm also concern to the load #6, what do I do when the invert failed or need to put in services?

Regards,
Key

Last edited:
If your inverter has an ATS and charger, then it looks right to me at a high level for a 120V circuit.
Load #6 is what's known as the "critical load".
Sometimes you'll see them split out with a multi-circuit transfer switch.

If your inverter has an ATS and charger, then it looks right to me at a high level for a 120V circuit.
Load #6 is what's known as the "critical load".
Sometimes you'll see them split out with a multi-circuit transfer switch.
Yes, my Growatt has ATS and charger that it can switch to grid when BAT voltage getting low to setted value.

What do I do to keep the load #6 ON when the Growatt inverter failed or out of service for maintenance?

What do I do to keep the load #6 ON when the Growatt inverter failed or out of service for maintenance?
A multi-circuit transfer switch generally has a bypass built in, but you can DIY one up with a DPDT switch...it would look like below (make sure the switch is rated for AC, the voltage, and the current).

1603988441052.png

This is assuming you're doing a single 120V line, e.g., a 120V inverter. If it's a 240V inverter it's more involved.

Last edited:
Hi Svetz,
Thanks you for your response.

Will THIS switch works?

1603994316532.png

Since the inverter is 120V with the maximum load of 3000W but I will be using it at 20A max at the main breaker with 12AWG wire.
If the above switch works, how many SW position and the A should I get?

Yes it will work, that was what I was going to use at first but since I wound up having to feed 10 different house lines so I used this transfer switch. They can be bought many different sizes but i used this one. If you are going to use the switch above, you will need one switch per supply line. That way it would be your option on those circuits that either one, some or all can be fed independently. If you do not have a bonded ground in your inverter, you can tie your common and ground wires from your inverter to your main panel box. Then all you have to feedthrough your switch is your hot/load wire.
Transfer Switch

Last edited:
Aims 3000W pure sine 24V,
What wire size and type should be used for the AC Output terminal. It is to be wired into an Off-grid tiny house main panel.

you plan your maintance for a time when #6 can be down (off) and for unplaned failure, you take the wires out of the grid side and load side of the growatt and you wire nut them together.

Aims 3000W pure sine 24V,
What wire size and type should be used for the AC Output terminal. It is to be wired into an Off-grid tiny house main panel.
With 3000 watt you are looking at 25 amps give or take so you are looking at a number 10 wire.

Back