diy solar

diy solar

Help I am in a deep deep hole with Connect my lithium batteries

Frank J

I am not used to write in English, so I hope it can be understanding.
I have seen a lot of YouTube videos and have also been a little bit wiser by them, but I am still in a deep hole. I hope somebody can help me up from the deep hole.

I have a sailboat where I would like to replace the old lead batteries with lithium batteries.

What I have:

12 pcs. SINOJOLY Lifepo4 SP-LE200HA 200 AH 3.2V (4S3P / 3P4S 12V 600AH)
1 piece. Starter battery VARTA LFS75 12V 75AH
1 piece. Inverta CLAYTON Power 2012 2000W
1 piece. Battery Chargers POWERFINN ROBUST R2300 12 / 80A
1 piece. Alternator on the engine 14V 115A
1 piece. Battery and tank monitor BTM with shunt SHE 300 (Continuous current 300A) from Philippi Marine Power

The starter battery should only supply the starter on the engine.
Lithium batteries must supply all other equipment navigation equipment, lights, television, pumps bow thruster (3500W) Etc.

My problem is that I have been looking and looking for equipment that can secure my Lithium batteries a Smart BMS that can handle discharge current of 300A / current 115A and which at the same time can be balanced my 12 cells but without held.

I hope somebody can help me with suggestions for equipment that can handle the task maybe a wire diagram.

I hope somebody can/will help me and Thank in advance for spend their time on me.

Frank Jessen
Denmark

Last edited:
Hi Frank!

...My problem is that I have been looking and looking for equipment that can secure my Lithium batteries a Smart BMS...

Would a battery box work? You'd want to find something bigger than your dimensions, put the cells inside, then jam hard foam or something between the cells and the box to beep it all secure.
41oK8oOO3EL._AC_.jpg

Hi Svetz

I am sorry but I don't ynderstand your point

Frank
I believe Svetz misunderstood your request to mean physically secure your batteries. If I understand you, when you say you want to secure your batteries you mean “keep them balanced and not allow an over-draw”.
You don’t necessarily need a BMS that can handle 300 amps. You could use a BMS to balance and a 300 amp breaker to protect.

Hi KBWaldron
Thank for the respons, yes I have explained me wrong, I'm sorry Svetz.
and yes KBWaldron it is accurate my problem. Can you suggest som SmartBMS and a 300 amp breaker

In advance thanks

Frank

A DC-DC charger would work. I think Will just reviewed one that was pretty good. Since you're mixing a lead acid starter batteries w/ LFP batts you can't use a simple voltage sensitive relay because he voltages would be off for the LFPs and end up cooking them but the DC/DC charger would do great in this instance.

Huh, second post in a row I've mentioned VSRs.

I've just installed a Batrium WatchMon4 with M8 BlockMon cell monitors. (https://www.batrium.com/collections/decentralised-supervisor/products/watchmon4-exp-blockmon-m8). It's expensive but pretty sophisticated, it can balance your cells, turn on and off your loads and chargers via programmable relays (but I use a Victron Color GX and the CAN bus instead), assuming your charges/inverters support being turned on/off remotely. I also use a Victron Multiplus inverter charger and all DC loads (apart from the bow thruster and windlass, yes, I'm on a boat too) go through a 200A (600A peak) Victron battery disconnect to prevent over discharge.

Victron also do a DC-DC charger that might fit the bill, https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/orion-tr smart, not that I have or have used one.

I used a Electrodaucus SBMS0 to control my 1000Ah Fortune 4s10p battery. Very happy with it, and it is 1/10 the cost of the batrium. I also added a active cell balancer from electric car parts company even though the Electrodaucus theoretically takes care of the balancing. It has been working very well for three months now.

Will Prowse did a couple of YouTube videos on it.

Also the tech support I got from the designer Dacian was awesome.

I am not used to write in English, so I hope it can be understanding.
I have seen a lot of YouTube videos and have also been a little bit wiser by them, but I am still in a deep hole. I hope somebody can help me up from the deep hole.

I have a sailboat where I would like to replace the old lead batteries with lithium batteries.

What I have:

12 pcs. SINOJOLY Lifepo4 SP-LE200HA 200 AH 3.2V (4S3P / 3P4S 12V 600AH)
1 piece. Starter battery VARTA LFS75 12V 75AH
1 piece. Inverta CLAYTON Power 2012 2000W
1 piece. Battery Chargers POWERFINN ROBUST R2300 12 / 80A
1 piece. Alternator on the engine 14V 115A
1 piece. Battery and tank monitor BTM with shunt SHE 300 (Continuous current 300A) from Philippi Marine Power

The starter battery should only supply the starter on the engine.
Lithium batteries must supply all other equipment navigation equipment, lights, television, pumps bow thruster (3500W) Etc.

My problem is that I have been looking and looking for equipment that can secure my Lithium batteries a Smart BMS that can handle discharge current of 300A / current 115A and which at the same time can be balanced my 12 cells but without held.

I hope somebody can help me with suggestions for equipment that can handle the task maybe a wire diagram.

I hope somebody can/will help me and Thank in advance for spend their time on me.

Frank Jessen
Denmark
Frank, go to Alibaba.com. I have just purchased a BMS rated 30S, 96v, 320amp. Several companies have what you are looking for.

I just learned that I cannot expect my LFP house bank to run my bow thruster- it must be connected to an AGM- or perhaps a much more powerful and expensive LFP. Same, I assume, goes for my windlass.

The BMS in my batteries would not provide enough kick to start up my bow thruster. Windlass not a problem. Bow thruster uses more power. I contacted my LFP manufacturer and they recommended an AGM for the bow thruster, I don't have room for 800 amps of LFPs. So, I bought an AGM battery with appropriate power for my bow thruster, it still fit in the battery compartment with the LFPs and use a buck converter to charge it from the LFPs. Added a relay to bypass the buck converter (which prevents overcharging the AGM) so that if necessary, the AGM could draw some power from the LFPs when necessary when bow thruster breaker is on.

The BMS in my batteries would not provide enough kick to start up my bow thruster. Windlass not a problem. Bow thruster uses more power. I contacted my LFP manufacturer and they recommended an AGM for the bow thruster, I don't have room for 800 amps of LFPs. So, I bought an AGM battery with appropriate power for my bow thruster, it still fit in the battery compartment with the LFPs and use a buck converter to charge it from the LFPs. Added a relay to bypass the buck converter (which prevents overcharging the AGM) so that if necessary, the AGM could draw some power from the LFPs when necessary when bow thruster breaker is on.
Why can't you run it off a relay and by pass the BMS , must be away and we know many running all sort of Heavy loads

It is an internal BMS and I didn't want to take the batteries apart. Also, there was an issue as to how to charge the AGM without running a whole lot of extra wiring, the buck converter was easy.

Back