diy solar

diy solar

HELP. Low output voltage.

SamRH

Hey gang, I must have something wrong.
I have two renogy 100 watt flex panels stuck to the roof of my ARE topper of my GMC pickup truck with VHB tape. Hooked them in parallel and ran the cables to the rear of my truck and plug into a EcoFlow river pro 720 watt solar gen. I use it to run a Iceeco 35 quart 12 volt cooler that draws 40 to 50 watts.
I got one day out of the EcoFlow before the unit stopped outputting overnight because there was not enough input watts to recharge the battery in the daytime in full Florida sun this past week.
My question is my input wattage from the 200 watts of solar panels. The best I have seen is 55 watts in full sun. Something must be wrong. I measured the volts twice. Got 21.2 once and 20.8 the second. The input watts fluctuate between 50 and 35 depending on the slightest haze of clouds. But why am I not getting 140 - 160 watts from these panels?
Help. I thought I had this figured good but it’s not working out favorably.

Thank you. ?

What's your panel orientation in relation to the position of the sun when you're checking the output?
I’ll have to admit it probably sux. They are sitting flat on my truck topper facing due east as the sun is passing overhead here in central Florida. I’m not sure of the inefficiency which is why I’m asking but for some reason I thought I would get more than 55 watts from 2x100 renogy flex panels. I’m going to check each panel and all connections tomorrow. Good advice. Thank you !! ?

Reactions: Zil
You will be better off to wire the PV panels in series if the SCC can handle the voltage. I assume it is an MPPT. Did not check up on the specs.

Sorry, just checked. SCC cannot handle it.

Last edited:
sitting flat on my truck topper facing due east as the sun is passing overhead here in central Florida
Rigid panels, some air space for hopeful temperature reduction, an Epever mppt controller that can do something is what I’d do. I’m not a fan of flexy panels or suitcase battery power devices anyway. Too many compromises leads to low charging ability.

Back