diy solar

diy solar

Help Lv2424 leaking voltage to ground terminal and part of the frame

Venezuela Solar

I just finished installing my LV2424 MPP solar inverter, but when installing the front covert i fell a small charge, i have double checked all the connections, there are no loose wires and input goes with input and output with output, L with L and Neutral with Neutral

Extra info, if i disconnect grid input (only inverter on) leaking voltage goes to 9-10v on the silver plated area (black has no trouble)

If i power off the inverter part and connect grid input leaking voltage goes to 20v

And if i power on the inverter and connect the grid input leaking voltage goes to 50v

The connecting terminals (block terminals) look ok on both input and output, the equipment works fine and this test were perform with no connection to the any circuitry in the house just a 120v outlet that i installed for maintenance and testing and is directely connected to the LV2424

I assume this is not normal, please i need some help, thanks.

Ground loop? Floating ground? Did you tie the N to ground on the inverter? Is N to ground any place on the grid side? It should be at the service entrance. I don't know the LV2424 how its ties in ground and Neutral.

Here in Venezuela, i can't confirm this info, the neutral is tied with ground on the street where the transformer is, i have connected the inverter to the house with no issues, but it could be happening without noticing

I dint tie the neutral to the ground on the inverter is it necessary? Im using it for off grid when there is a power outtage and i have switch to isolated the house from the main grid

Here in Venezuela, i can't confirm this info, the neutral is tied with ground on the street where the transformer is, i have connected the inverter to the house with no issues, but it could be happening without noticing

I dint tie the neutral to the ground on the inverter is it necessary? Im using it for off grid when there is a power outtage and i have switch to isolated the house from the main grid

Very interesting...
I use the LV5048's (essentially two LV2424 in one box)

I have all 4 wires connected to the same house panel. The house has the ground double-tap buried 8ish feet down. Do you have any idea how deep or if you even have an earth ground rod?

Have you opened the cover and just scanned or checked everything you can?

There is no grounding, thats part of the problem, any way, Ian Roux explained to me what happens

And i quote

"The ground terminal on these units is the one on the AC input and output, they are bonded to the inverter metal casing. If you have no ground, I suggest you run one from a pipe hammered into the ground to your inverter.

yes, run a jumper between the N on the AC input to the N of the AC output. Those two Neutrals are not internally bonded together when the load is running off the inverter, only when load is passe3d through to the Utility power will the neutrals be internally connected via relay.

Its good practice to tie both Neutral terminals together (as this should usually be done already at your main and sub breaker boxes, but if this is not the case, do it here, (wire jumper more than 40A"

In my case they are not bonded in my main, im using an old connection in the house that bypasses the main breaker box to charge the batteries with utility power, on my current situation it has to be like this so when power comes back the inverter bypasses the batteries and uses utility power, the internal relays switch and charge the batteries (this is very often, the grid is in a decaying state). So input and output of the inverter are not connected, i just have to bond the neutrals and use a copper bar for the grounding.

I hope this info helps somebody else.

Do you see a ground connected to the transformer on your power pole?

I recently rewired my entire house and have a much clearer understanding of how the entire power system works. It is so much simpler than I ever thought.

I operate on and off-grid for now. As soon as I get my solar connected through the LV5048's I am pretty sure I will be able to be 100% off-grid.

usually , ground is not a matter of going deep with the pole, but getting a big surface.
So best practices in creating ground usually rely on installing a a metallic mesh burried into the floor.

Do you see a ground connected to the transformer on your power pole?

I recently rewired my entire house and have a much clearer understanding of how the entire power system works. It is so much simpler than I ever thought.

I operate on and off-grid for now. As soon as I get my solar connected through the LV5048's I am pretty sure I will be able to be 100% off-grid.
It suppuse to be in the powerpole, an electrician once told me that, but lets just say the power pole is a mess and i cant really understand all the wiring on that pole, but thats why almost any house have grounding

That's the thing though, the ground wire on the house stuck in the dirt, completes the open circuit and basically bonds the house with the grid. If that grid bond isn't there, that is what is part of the "problem".

The ground on your house is supposed to be as close to the pole as possible, so that the "earth ground" potential equalizes to the "grid".

It is not at all like the 12v ground system of a car.

Back