diy solar

diy solar

Help me choose (high temperature location)

Mediman

I’ve decided to buy new panels from Signature Solar, is there a brand or type that does better in hot North Texas summers? I’m a 2 hour drive West of Signature Solar’s warehouse so I’ll save the shipping expense. I’m installing them on top of my hay barn so they won’t be shaded but I worry about the heat on the corrugated galvanized steel roof. Here’s a screenshot of the brands/prices, any suggestions?

Attachments

• A3DE828E-55C4-410E-AD64-3FE724258BA4.png
    A3DE828E-55C4-410E-AD64-3FE724258BA4.png
    634.6 KB · Views: 6
Thanks Sunshine Eggo! I might need to start with a ground array. My hay barn is a vestige of an old farm. Suburbia has built up around me and I live in a somewhat gentrified neighborhood of 1 to 3 acre lots. For unobstructed sun I have 2 quality choices: 1) is the barn roof 2) is a stretch along my North fence. The North fence option is closer to the house but can be seen from the street. Fortunately no HOA or City ordinance against it but I’d prefer to be more discreet if possible. The barn roof (even though it’s 30 feet off the ground) is hidden from surrounding streets and is only visible to one McMansion nearby.
I’ll absolutely reconsider a ground mount as it would resolve several issues.
Thanks!

Have you verified that those panels are actually at that warehouse? I contacted a solar retailer near me because they had racking kits on their site and a local phone number and address. Nope. No inventory at the local site. :cry:

I haven’t, but my experience with Signature Solar has been that they update their online inventory regularly. I’m mostly interested in getting panels that manage summer temperatures well, since that’s when I use the most power here in North Texas. I don’t even know if the difference is enough to worry about, still trying to learn the ups and downs of PV.
Thanks HRTKD!

I didn't look at temperature ratings when I was shopping for my panels. My primary requirements were size, wattage, efficiency and wind rating.

Look at the "Normal Operating Cell Temperature (NOCT)" and the "Operating Temperature Range" when comparing panels. I would be surprised if you find much difference between two panels of the same wattage.

Since the panels will shade the tin roof, why would the tin roof get the panels hotter than they would get in direct sunlight anyway?

I agree that ground mount is easier for many reasons.

Have you considered a ground array? Cheaper, easier and will perform better.
I’ve not paid attention to max temp ratings. Probably should (La Grange,TX).

Cheaper-maybe not-rail less mounts.
Easier-maybe
Perform better-why? Angle? Heat?

Bifacial panels can benefit from a ground mount. They can collect something from the back of the panel.

Otherwise, fitting panels on a roof may be more about fitting and getting all the the Watts you need.

I am in OKC. While on a trip to Florida, I arranged for an 8:00AM 'local pickup' at Signature Solar. I spent the night before on their lot and installed a panel right there when they opened and then continued my trip. I would not suggest just driving over there to shop but instead call and arrange the sale in advance.

Since the panels will shade the tin roof, why would the tin roof get the panels hotter than they would get in direct sunlight anyway?

I agree that ground mount is easier for many reasons.
That’s a logical question! I guess the only difference might be airflow potential. My galvanized roofing is relatively reflective so the exposed metal shouldn’t add much heat. Thanks!

Back