diy solar

diy solar

Help me decide: Bluetti vs DIY?

Just an FYI to any internet newbies…

Look at the actual domain name before clicking on something claiming to be from a support site…

If there is a misspelling, or another name.com before or after the company name you expect, it is a scam trying to spam you… don’t fall for it.

This may be a minor gripe but I recently helped a friend set up a off grid system that included a Renogy 100 amp MPPT controller. The manual was very basic and when I went to set charging set points the first thing the controller does is ask for the password. What?? I didn't input a password. I open the manual and go through it, cover to cover, twice, no mention of a password. Such a basic, and now required step to get into the menus and not a damn word about this in the manual. Considering what she paid for this controller I was surprised considering I recommended she get a Midnite Classic 150 and she said it was out of her budget. She threw good money after bad as far as I'm concerned.

Yes the manual is not complete for the Renogy Rover 100 amp MPPT controller, but covers most items fairly well. It was amazing to me that the default password was not in the manual.
Try the default password of 0000000

When entering the password I just press enter until is displays password accepted. Works every time.

Last edited:
Proofreading the manuals seems like a tangible and obtainable goal that Renogy could achieve. That's two complaints over missing or incorrect information in the user manual. I'm sympathetic to the fact that stepping up your tech support game requires hiring knowledgeable employees in a time when those are scarce, but proofreading a manual only takes one or two people.

Hell, send me the product and manual then I'll set it up and see if any info is missing.

@Renogy Solar

Last edited:
I will go for the Bluetti if this is what I needed. If you decide to build it by yourself you won't be able to match the price tag unless you go with bare components (cells and BMS instead of a battery, inverter module instead off the shelf inverter). And you won't even get closer to the experience you would with the Bluetti version - everything is integrated pretty closely in their product.

In my case, I needed something similar, but without the invertor side. So I build one. It was a lot cheaper, it is smaller and it is precisely what I needed. 100Ah, integrated SCC, 12V power outputs, and PV input. And it was less than $400.
I had two different needs. DIY is one way I decided to go, decided to give Renogy a try, but for another project, I added the Bluetti 3BA. Just waiting for the stuff to come in.

Back