diy solar

diy solar

Help me identify this li-ion battery

glamsland

Hi.
I got me a batterypack ,- 24v 6.3kw li-ion. 3p 7s . They are 3.7vx90A/cell i think.
The seller could not say what model or type the cell is.. but its from a ev/hybrid car.
he just had the charger parameters; bulk- 28.7 v (4.1v/cell) . I planning to rebuild the battery box, and replace the old bms with a new qucc bms. But before i start, i will find the cell model so i get all the parameters right. . The cells are aprx 40cm/16" high , 30cm/12" wide, 2cm/0.8" thick.
Enyone seen a cell like this before?

Not so good quality photo, i cut of some of the plastic covers. The pic is from the side.

Runar

Attachments

• 20220122_125003.jpg
    20220122_125003.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Unknown, but the 4.1V/cell charge voltage indicates it's firey/explodey lithium (NCA, NCM, LMO, etc.).

Make sure you get a BMS for this chemistry. It is commonly identified as a BMS for "3.7V" lithium.

Max is 4.2V
Min is 2.5-3.0V depending on chemistry. 3.0V is probably the best to start with.

This flavor of Lithium has a much lower cycle life if the whole range is used - measured in hundreds, not thousands. If you don't fully charge and don't fully discharge, you will maximize life. The BEST (tens of thousands of cycles) is typically 30-70% (only 40% of the whole battery capacity). The best balance in life/capacity is 20%-80%. The 4.1V probably puts you in the 80-90% range.

Best bet is for you to fully charge the battery to 4.2V/cell and then discharge to 3.0V/cell. then pick the voltage that corresponds to 20% and 80% for your cut-offs.

Do not configure the BMS to cut off at these level. The BMS is a safety system, and you don't want it cutting off routinely. Configure your equipment to cut off at the appropriate charge and discharge levels.

Unknown, but the 4.1V/cell charge voltage indicates it's firey/explodey lithium (NCA, NCM, LMO, etc.).

Make sure you get a BMS for this chemistry. It is commonly identified as a BMS for "3.7V" lithium.

Max is 4.2V
Min is 2.5-3.0V depending on chemistry. 3.0V is probably the best to start with.

This flavor of Lithium has a much lower cycle life if the whole range is used - measured in hundreds, not thousands. If you don't fully charge and don't fully discharge, you will maximize life. The BEST (tens of thousands of cycles) is typically 30-70% (only 40% of the whole battery capacity). The best balance in life/capacity is 20%-80%. The 4.1V probably puts you in the 80-90% range.

Best bet is for you to fully charge the battery to 4.2V/cell and then discharge to 3.0V/cell. then pick the voltage that corresponds to 20% and 80% for your cut-offs.

Do not configure the BMS to cut off at these level. The BMS is a safety system, and you don't want it cutting off routinely. Configure your equipment to cut off at the appropriate charge and discharge levels.
Thanks. I will try to cycle from 20-80.. it got a bms already.. but its one that i don't like.. i can not see the ballance of the cells, or anything.. just have to thrust its working. Want to swap it with one that i can see on my phone ..

Don't know.. the seller believed it was a bmw, but as i can see, they are smaller. Half the height.. they look more like the one in volvo hybrid, but still not the same...
Talked to the seller again.. he still don't know what brand or model, but they did set the bms upper 4.2v, and lower cut at 3.1v . Its something i can use.. but still, i'd like to realy know what i am dealing with here. .

Max is 4.2V

Besides the nail puncture test videos how many nmc battery banks do you know if that are "firey/explodey"? The issue is often from thermal runaway due to over/under charge or over temperature beside damage due to an impact(in ev's)....also nmc batteries can do 3000+ cycles( manufacturer and chemical composition dependent)

Besides the nail puncture test videos how many nmc battery banks do you know if that are "firey/explodey"? The issue is often from thermal runaway due to over/under charge or over temperature beside damage due to an impact(in ev's)....also nmc batteries can do 3000+ cycles( manufacturer and chemical composition dependent)

Chevy Bolt

Ev or hybrid manufacturers tend not to put battery modules parallel.
Having 6kWh at ~24v means it is probably for a 90+kWh car at 96s. But I don't recognize the modules from Audi E-tron, Jaguar Ipace, Mercedes EQC and of course Tesla Model x/s.

Of course it could still be off some low voltage golf cart or something.

20220423_123754.jpg
I got it out of its batterybox this weekend.. still cant see any stamps or marks thhat can show me the direction to a manufacturer... anyone seen any cells like this? Some say chevy bolt.. but they are wery rare to find here, so i don't know.. the cells are set together with terminals on both sides, so whats on the photo is not a original module. Its made to be 24v.

Attachments

• 20220423_123759.jpg
    20220423_123759.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 7
This is not a Bolt pack I believe, see:

And the way the terminals are done is not acceptible in an EV.

We have a winner :D

Great, they look pretty nice to work with for the DIY person. Just like Mitsubishi cells, but probably better performance/weight etc.

This is a modified Kia Soul EV battery pack.
It has SK Innovation cells.
Attached are some pictures of what they look like coming out of the battery.
Its gone through some heavy modification.

Do you have any (semi)official information/specs on these?
Weight, dimensions etc

From what I understand the modules are 36v? so 10s? Perhaps there are more variants

It is from a Kia Soul EV 2017, I have the same dismantled and building now a home backup system
Do you manage to get some spec or any cell info for the cells? I know it's a nms cell, but can just find some standard nmc cell info online..

Back