diy solar

Help measuring Solar Panel current with clamp meter

Rbertalotto

Solar Enthusiast
Three 140w/12V panels on roof of RV

Two 110 amp / 12V AGM batteries

Bogart battery monitor is showing batteries at 100% SOC

Bogart battery monitor is showing zero amps from panels

Newly acquired clamp meter set to lowest scale <40A DC....... Not showing anything when clamped on wire before the Bogart solar controller directly from panels.

Regardless of the battery monitor, shouldn't a clamp meter show me what the solar panel;s are capable of sending?

Thanks in advance....

The meter and Bogart will only show a non-zero figure if there is current flowing. With your battery fully charged and no other load on the system you won't see much, if any depending on the charger, current at all. Discharge the battery a reasonable amount or connect a load to the system and then you'll see some amps coming from the solar array.

THANK YOU....With my limited knowledge of all this solar stuff....That's what I thought was happening. Thanks again.....

With my limited knowledge of all this solar stuff....
Is there anything in particular you are troubleshooting or investigating?

Here are some helpful videos on the sister site that will help your overall understanding:

Followup questions encouraged!

No, Just learning how to use a clamp meter. I'm running all over the house measuring electrical stuff! Never had one of these before. Thanks

I designed and installed the solar system on my RV about 5 years ago. Works wonderful! http://rvbprecision.com/rv-projects/solar-install-grey-wolf-19rr-toy-hauler.html

I had 10.5Kw grid tie system installed on my house a few years ago and recently built a portable battery with portable solar panels for caming with my Roof Top Tent...... http://rvbprecision.com/rv-projects/rooftop-tent-modifications-so-far.html

I know enough about solar to be dangerous!

As @gnubie says, best to put a big load on batteries and wait for your SCC to enter 'Bulk' mode, then put your clamp meter on the battery side of your SCC to see the charging current. Note: if you put you clamp meter on the PV side, you will likely see a lower current, because that will be at a higher voltage.

If you want to see what your panel(s) is/are capable off, short the array +ive to -ive and put your clamp meter on the PV side, here you'll be measuring Isc (Current Short Circuit), you can usually add around 20% to that to get the maximum power current (Imp). Don't worry, this won't damage your panels.

Have fun with your new clamp meter!

Back