diy solar

diy solar

Help needed to trouble shoot my Aims Power Invertor

Serge9898

I have a Aims Power 2500w invertor (Global LF Series) in my camper van. While using the microwave, it suddenly stopped. The output breaker jumped.
but it's hard to to feel when the breaker is tripped or engaged...
Inverter would not turn on. Not LED on. After letting it rest for a long time, it will turn on, all LED on, run a self check and turn off.
Trouble shooting with my tester (photo): the Output line and the Output neutral are in short circuit... (no resistance)
Any advice? I appreciate some help to trouble shoot and guidance to fix.
1644980445220.png

System (bough and built in 2019) Worked fine:
2 x 100W Renogy Solar panels.
Renogy Adventurer Li- 30A PWM Flush Mount Charge Controller.
Renogy battery RNG BATT AG M12-200.
Aims Power 2500w invertor (Global LF Series)

That resistance is low because you are reading the output Transformer DC resistance, it will be very low.
Those two thermal breakers, if you push to reset you will feel a click when you push the button to reset them, the button will also stick out more when they are tripped, you can also check the resistance between the breaker terminal to see if the breaker is tripped or not.

Thanks for the answer. The output breaker is now engaged. (0 DC resistance). But it trips when I connected the invertor.
Shouldn't I measure some kind of low DC resistance? Not it measures 0.0 Ohms.
Is this normal? if yes what do you suggest as next trouble shouting steps?...
(At first sight I don't any sign of heat/burn...)

Thanks for the answer. The output breaker is now engaged. (0 DC resistance). But it trips when I connected the invertor.
Shouldn't I measure some kind of low DC resistance? Not it measures 0.0 Ohms.
Is this normal? if yes what do you suggest as next trouble shouting steps?...
(At first sight I don't any sign of heat/burn...)
The winding resistance will be very low, you analog meter does not have the resolution to show the readings.
"But it trips when I connected the invertor" connect the inverter to what? to the batteries without load connected to the AC output?

Have you closely checked the circuit boards and components for heat discoloration. All my output transistors were roasted in my Xantrex when it quit.

The winding resistance will be very low, you analog meter does not have the resolution to show the readings.
"But it trips when I connected the invertor" connect the inverter to what? to the batteries without load connected to the AC output?
Yes it trips right away without any load connected to the AC output.

Have you closely checked the circuit boards and components for heat discoloration. All my output transistors were roasted in my Xantrex when it quit.
I just did a quick initial inspection. I will check again (asap) when I get back home (and when I understand a bit the circuit..)

I would check out the MOSFET/IGBT (mounted on the big heatsinks) that drive the transformer for shorts.
Please provide sides, top of the unit so we can see the components in the unit.
Is the unit still under warranty?
BTW, you should put the Ohm meter on X1 scale to get better resolution of the low resistance reading, you have it in x100 scale right now so no way you will see good low resistance readings. Your meter needle also pegs to the right pass '0' which mean you did not Zero out the meter (meter should be Zero out every time you change scale using the Red dial) first before taking the Ohm reading. Please read the meter manual.

Last edited:
I am checking if it's still under warranty with Aims Power, but the cost of freight due to the weight makes the warranty practically unusable... I also ask them for help trouble shooting, will keep you posted...
Here are the side and top views. (6 Pictures attached as zip)
At first sight, I don't see any heat discoloration or damage. MOSFETs look ok.
I will measure them one by one (if this can be done mounted. I don't have a diode check position on my meter so I have to find a way with Ohms)

This meter is 30 y.o. old and basic (0 adjustment doesn't work) and just used for continuity... I used a better meter and still see no resistance at all.(picture)

Attachments

• Inverter pics-001.zip
    9.6 MB · Views: 3
Update : I got Aims Power Tech support. The inverter is out of warranty.
We did some trouble shooting.
13.6V applied on the inverter input. The inverter now turns on : Meaning it does its self check (all LEDs on briefly) then the Green LED "Inverter Mode" is on.
But no voltage : 0 mV on the output. (On both output: The plug and the output terminals)
He said : Ship or bring the unit back (Reno).
I asked it could be from his experience. "If the inverter is on, it might be the back wire is pushed up." (I don't know what is means...)
If not: one of the board to replace (one is $85, the other one $160? Plus an hour MOH $120...)
Any idea?

Update : I got Aims Power Tech support. The inverter is out of warranty.
We did some trouble shooting.
13.6V applied on the inverter input. The inverter now turns on : Meaning it does its self check (all LEDs on briefly) then the Green LED "Inverter Mode" is on.
But no voltage : 0 mV on the output. (On both output: The plug and the output terminals)
He said : Ship or bring the unit back (Reno).
I asked it could be from his experience. "If the inverter is on, it might be the back wire is pushed up." (I don't know what is means...)
If not: one of the board to replace (one is $85, the other one $160? Plus an hour MOH $120...)
Any idea?
Did you reset the breaker before powering the inveter? If not, then that is why there is no AC output from the output section, the control section is alive but you have short circuit in the output section that is why you need to check the MOSFET/IGBT to see if any one of them is shorted out or not.
Did AIMS ask you to check the MOSFET/IGBT in the output section?

Reset the breaker!.. You were right! LOL! Now it's working.
I am not impressed (and a bit frustrated) that the service guy was so quick to ask me to send it back and didn't even have in his checklist to reset the breaker. Duh...
This breaker has not "feedback" at all when you reset it (like a "clic"). So it's difficult to know if it's tripped.
And no: AIMS service did not want to discuss anything inside (like MOSFETs) because he didn't want me to open it (even out of warranty). I guess the limit of their free phone diagnostic is to have make you measure the voltage in and out. Period.

Now, if I am glad it works, I am not comfortable going on the road not knowing the root cause of the issue.
I discover that the ground connection the invertor to the van negative was broken (disconnected). Do you think it could have causes the inverter to trip?

Reset the breaker!.. You were right! LOL! Now it's working.
I am not impressed (and a bit frustrated) that the service guy was so quick to ask me to send it back and didn't even have in his checklist to reset the breaker. Duh...
This breaker has not "feedback" at all when you reset it (like a "clic"). So it's difficult to know if it's tripped.
And no: AIMS service did not want to discuss anything inside (like MOSFETs) because he didn't want me to open it (even out of warranty). I guess the limit of their free phone diagnostic is to have make you measure the voltage in and out. Period.

Now, if I am glad it works, I am not comfortable going on the road not knowing the root cause of the issue.
I discover that the ground connection the invertor to the van negative was broken (disconnected). Do you think it could have causes the inverter to trip?
Are you talking about the chassis ground (case) of the inverter or the AC input/output ground?

Back