diy solar

diy solar

Help needed

CnC

So only my 2nd time posting here. Brand new to this. The system I have (new) is SunPower 110W panels (X3) with MC4 connectors, a Victron 100/20 charge controller and a Victron 500A shunt, both with Bluetooth. Its now installed and appears to be functioning. Not sure if the readings are correct though? The State of Charge reading on the app when I open the shunt option is slowly declining even though the onboard charger has been on while at the marina? Not sure if I'm understanding the state of charge meaning? The system is wired with the shunt through the neg cable but I have the charge controller "neg" wired directly to the negative battery post and not on the system side of the shunt. Could this be the reason for the readings as they are? I guess my question is, should the negative battery post have nothing other than a battery cable from that post to the "battery minus" side of the shunt (meaning "no other negative leads") and everything else ("all other negative leads including charge controllers, onboard charger etc, etc") on the system minus side of the shunt? I should note that I have 2 X 12V new this season house batteries wired in parallel and the system is only wired through the house batteries and not the starter batteries.

Thanks so much. Now my next question. How do I go about this "and" in what order do I remove, shut down, disconnect etc, etc, so no damage occurs to any part of the system or components?

Step one, shut off the equipment.

Step two, disconnect the solar,
Step 3 switch off any battery disconnect you have.

Step 4 should be to isolate and examine exactly what you will be doing, and have steps outlined.

5, cover any terminals that may cause a short if something is dropped or released.

Do you have a bussbar?

Maybe step one should be, take detailed pictures of everything you have, post them here for us to examine and point out any hazards to avoid.

Reactions: CnC
Thank you for the great advice. I did it exactly as you said and all seems to be working well now. The solar kept the state of charge at 100% yesterday and it slowly dropped over the course of the night and was sitting at 76% this morning after using some lights and both fridges running all night. We'll see how today shapes up. Overcast skies presently ☹️

Back