diy solar

diy solar

Help! Newbie almost blows a hole in his face with MPP 3KVA 24V

I hope the OP isn’t too embarrassed to come back.

I ruined two TVs once because I miss wired my Apple TV when I did a DC conversion on it.

I hope the OP isn’t too embarrassed to come back.

I ruined two TVs once because I miss wired my Apple TV when I did a DC conversion on it.
We all make mistakes, I've made plenty but when it comes to electrical stuff, I don't mess around. Safety is paramount and self education beforehand is vital.

I'm missing part of one finger, managed to take the tip off in a wood joiner. It was actually the second time I cut that finger off, first time was in an electric window regulator. It never was right, probably why I took the tip off again, no sewing it back together the second time.

I'm pretty good at giving "the finger". :cool:

Thanks for all the help. I did dive in too quickly. My permanent setup in the RV will have fuses and a BMS. And, yes I finally figured out that my meter leads were reversed, duh! Trouble started when I ordered everything at the same time ... the MPP came almost immediately, the batteries took nearly three months, and I am still waiting for the BMS. I made a bad decision to put the batteries together on my bench in order to test the MPP unit. (I assumed if there was a problem with it, I would have a hard time with returns four months after receiving it.) Thanks to all, I will be more careful and so far so good everything works, I learned my lesson the hard way, and everything is back on track.

I learned my lesson the hard way,
You got lucky and didn't get the really hard way... glad you're ok and wiser from the experience.

@PriusFan, It's been super easy. If a guy who crosses his multimeter cables can get it done, anyone can. I added two used 240 watt Trina solar panels to the roof of my 28ft RV to max out the solar and an automatic transfer switch to prevent the 110V from making the end of my shorepower cable hot, now everything just works all the time. My only problem with the MPP 2724 has been the lack of bluetooth. Once I set up the system, I haven't touched the MPP, I use the bluetooth on the Overkill 24V BMS to monitor the batteries state of charge and turn them on and off when we aren't using the RV. It will even run my roof top A/C for up to two hours. On a recent 3000 mile trip, we used the generator once to top up the batteries when we had gone a few days without plugging in. I have not figured out how to make the MPP automatically start my generator.
Final cost to have 110V in my RV 24/7:
16x 90AH Littokala cells: $668
PIP 2724LV-MR 24V 2.7kW 120V Inverter $590
Overkill 24V BMS: $110
Dual Power automatic transfer switch $40
2 Used solar panels $100
solar connectors $10
8 guage wire $40
TOTAL $1,558

Back