diy solar

diy solar

Help on 12vlt regulated DC cigarette receptacle

Ty pierre that's a good idea I'm looking into that too it's just I don't have half the knowledge you guys have I sure wish I did so I'm actually researching that as we speak I work nights as a security guard and in fact I'm just getting ready to clock out and go to bed that'll be researching tonight thank you again!!

We will chat again. Rest assured - directly off the battery your fridge will run for about 2 days without recharge giving you plenty of time to charge the other battery and change over.

that's why I DO need a regulated supply so when one battery gets to the low point and shuts off
By the time the battery gets to the cut off voltage of the fridge, it will be beyond flat if its a lead acid battery. A DC to DC converter/regulator wont help any, the extra losses will make things worse. As I stated, the fridge electronices converts any voltage from around 10.5v upwards into a 3 phase power supply for the motor. Any regulated supply won't make more power it will just use more and give less run time from the battery.

Mike

So 50% discharge from lead is around 12.2 volts. You said the low voltage cutoff (of the fridge) is 9.5.

If you discharge lead acid to this level you will probably get around 10 cycles from it before it dies!

Just run it straight off the battery.

Just run it straight off the battery.
Yes! You don’t need a regulated supply. OP was worried about efficiency waste by running on 120AC; I’d bet there’s a bit of ‘waste’ on a DC supply.
Just plug it into a 12V receptacle rated for more amps than the cooler’s draw.
Did I read you were using lead acid? Add another battery to your bank for more headroom; even in a storm you may get some charge from solar to stretch the run-time

Last edited:
Back