diy solar

diy solar

Help picking right lightning protection, fuses, and breakers for each of four strings

I'm obviously new at this, so forgive my ignorance, but if each string has under 600 volts or 9 amps, it sounds like a 1000V breaker on each string is too much, unless it is the amp rating that I should focus upon.
No, you're right. I apologize.
I'm actually trying to carry on 3 conversations. lol
The amp rating is the trip setting.
The voltage rating, just means that it's safe to use on up to that voltage. Bigger is just safer.

I think that you mean parallel.
In series, the voltage adds up.
Ok, so I'd need four of those DC breakers and four surge protectors. To wire, I bring the first string from the PV (+ & -) into the top of the breaker. The + & - are run out of the bottom of the breaker directly to line 1 (+ & -) DC input in the inverter. The surge protector is installed directly next to the breaker. I run a second thicker 6-gauge red wire and a second thicker 6-gauge black wire out of the bottom of the breaker from both + & - and loop it around to the top of the + & - of the surge protector. Out of the bottom of the surge protector, I run a thick green/yellow wire to the ground bar. Does this all sound correct, since the inverter has its own integrated DC shut off switch? I will do the same for each of the four strings to keep them independent of one another, since I want to keep everything in series and don't want anything run in parallel to double the current, which would overload the inverter.

I run a second thicker 6-gauge red wire and a second thicker 6-gauge black wire out of the bottom of the breaker from both + & - and loop it around to the top of the + & - of the surge protector.
I would connect the surge protector to the top/input of the breaker. No point in sending a possible lighting strike through the breaker. That just gets it closer to the inverter, before the suppressor can clamp it.
Hopefully, it will also trip the breaker.

Reactions: Rho
Back