diy solar

diy solar

Help planning a small on-grid system

chris_m

I've been on the fence over installing an on-grid system for a small house for a while. We don't have much roof space, and I've been hesitant about the investment vs the benefits - but suddenly I got a great deal on 7 295W mono panels, so I couldn't resist.

Now that I have the panels I need to figure out my next steps.

Initially I was thinking of ordering one of those Chinese Sun2000-GTIL grid tie inverters which should be enough for the 7x295W panels I assume.
The roof does have space for three more panels though. So I could buy three new, possibly higher rated panels, and a bigger inverter or two of those sun2000s.

I should also mention there is a second roof, with space for five panels, some 15m (50ft) from the main house

Questions:

-How would I best make use of the 7 panels I have?
-Is the cheapest option (sun2000gtil inverter) adviseable - how should I arrange the panels in series/paralell?
-If I buy more panels - should I buy 1 or 3 - and if so what grid tie inverter would be most cost effective? I have heard some good things about Huawei?
-If for instance a 4kw inverter is not much more expensive than a 3kw - is this a good idea, thinking of future panel upgrades, and possibly making use of the second roof?
-Is the distance to the second roof a problem? Could that roof be considered as a possibility of a second string for the main inverter if ever made use of?

I see this whole project mostly as an experiment/hobby. But also building out the infrastructure (the panels) for a backup battery system if ever needed down the road. (not sure if the possibilty of adding batteries should be taken into account when choosing the inverter - I believe the Huawei is "battery ready")?

Look forward to any thoughts on this.

Chris

Seems like I may have posed the wrong questions, or in the wrong forum. I will try to move it to Newcomers.

Back