diy solar

diy solar

HELP PLEASE I think I may have some bad cells

I’m confused, are Moltensurf and Just John the same people? It looks like multiple people are trying to help the OP but 2 people are responding as if they’re having the same problem....

Reactions: Dzl
Gotcha! I was trying to keep an eye out to see if he OP got better capacity tests and it threw me off. Thanks

Gotcha! I was trying to keep an eye out to see if he OP got better capacity tests and it threw me off. Thanks
Yes, sorry. Back on topic, he started the test today and is running at 10 amps, with a 200AH cell, so 20 hours later we should know. :)

This is not instructional... it's to a specific point in the video relative to the discussion... please watch...

:giggle:
Yes, I really wish he hadn't put that in there. I'm pretty sure everyone says "but I'm not a beginner". Especially if they aren't watching it closely and just half listening, and thus miss the warning.

Nice! I think your goi g to hit your rated capacity or really close to it. Hey just curious. Why did you go with the 200a? From what I’ve been seeing the 280s are a much better deal

It looks like the test will be cut short, I did not change the cut off parameter
Yes, but you achieved over the rated capacity that you paid for! I would recommend you repeat this for each cell to satisfy yourself that you got what you paid for. Then take the now empty cells and assemble a pack (I hope you have a BMS). Then you can charge the entire pack with the same charger set to the correct voltage and it will be much faster that way. Depending on how many cells in a pack, (I think you said 24v) you can charge nearly 8 times faster than charging each cell individually. That way you can charge up the cells to allow you to then parallel the cells to top balance them in less time.

Feel free to ask questions, the only dumb question is one that isn't asked.

Edit, tried to make it more clear, charging 8 at a time to close to capacity, then take the pack apart and parallel top balance them.

Last edited:
Nice! I think your goi g to hit your rated capacity or really close to it. Hey just curious. Why did you go with the 200a? From what I’ve been seeing the 280s are a much better deal
Indeed the 280AH cells are a better value, but it looks like he got grade A cells. Personally I prefer the plastic case myself, easier to assemble a pack. These are certainly more robust for an RV or boat application.

My test is almost done, and my neck cell is almost fully charged. I am going to Houston for the night; I will let the cell rest and see what it’s resting voltage is. I will post the resting voltage

Indeed the 280AH cells are a better value, but it looks like he got grade A cells. Personally I prefer the plastic case myself, easier to assemble a pack. These are certainly more robust for an RV or boat application.
I agree with your points. I’ve had those cells in 100a and they were great! Was just curious of why in his particular situation.

Back