diy solar

diy solar

Help please wire sizing

ok so my puny inverter ha ha wiring is all 1/0 and the fuse on it not sure of the rating but big 7" x 2" hmm. it is in the engine compartment and I will be moving it out but keeping it separate of the solar beacause of wire and fusing size, and to honest i'm not all that smart.

This table will tell you ampacity of the wires, depending on temperature rating of insulation.

A slow-blow fuse rating no higher than wire ampacity should be used.
Continuous load should be no more than [edit: 80% of] fuse rating; from that you can calculate what AC wattage would would be usable.

Last edited:
This table will tell you ampacity of the wires, depending on temperature rating of insulation.

A slow-blow fuse rating no higher than wire ampacity should be used.
Continuous load should be no more than [edit: 80% of] fuse rating; from that you can calculate what AC wattage would would be usable.
Dumb question with regard to the table. For example 14AWG (75C) rated for 15A-20A for what length of wire? solid insulated copper wire? or strand insulated copper? Many tables just refer to temperature, no discussion about length or material (solid/strand type).

Any length of wire, solid or stranded.
What determines "ampacity" is what temperature the insulation can handle, ambient temperature, any insulating environment (conduit or wall insulation), and how many wires are bundled together. And for some insulation types, if it is wet.

Ampacity is just to ensure the wire doesn't get too hot.

Length is used, along with gauge and current, to determine voltage drop.

Last edited:
Any length of wire, solid or stranded.
What determines "ampacity" is what temperature the insulation can handle, ambient temperature, any insulating environment (conduit or wall insulation), and how many wires are bundled together. And for some insulation types, if it is wet.

Ampacity is just to ensure the wire doesn't get too hot.

Length is used, along with gauge ad current, to determine voltage drop.
Thank you for the explanation.

Back