diy solar

diy solar

help re soldering to xt90 connectors

Joe Sr

I've become concerned about using some very nice xt90 connectors I bought because they turn out not to have a solid crimp in addition to the solder joint. My environment is mobile is subject to big bounces, jolts, and vibrations.

The how-to youtube videos on xt90 connectors all seem to just solder a short end of wire to the half-cylinder sticking out of the end. On the connectors I have the holes are at least as deep again as the half-cylinder top. It seems to me that a mechanically much stronger and heat-resistant connection could be made by soldering the wire in clear to the bottom of the hole.

So there are two questions I need experience help with:

1./ Can one successfully use a long tinned end and solder deeply into the xt90 connector?

2./ Is the well-done solder-only joint of 1./ sufficient for a vibration heavy application?

I stick the wire down in the hole when I solder XT connectors. Tin both surfaces, heat them up, and jam it down in there. Sometimes I add a little bit of extra solder if it's needed.

I know that aerospace uses crimp connectors, and that they're better for heavy vibration, but a lot of drones use XT connectors, so as long as the connection is good I don't see it being a problem.

Back