diy solar

diy solar

Help reading oscilloscope on CHINSUS hybrid…

iamburgerking37

My 3k CHINSUS hybrid is outputting less than ideal sine wave as my refrigerator will have trouble starting up from time to time.
So I bought a Hantek usb scope to take a look at the wave. I’m using a step down transformer to 8v.
However, I don’t know what I’m looking at. I thought perhaps it would be very obvious visually if the wave looked more square and modified pulsed, but it’s not obvious…at least to me. I’m posting two videos of the live read in case one of you could put an eye on the measurements or see something I’m missing.
The video with the fan noise in the background is the inverter (using it as a load), the other is my house ac.
Also any hints on setup with the scope will be appreciated.
Sine wave:
CHINSUS data:
House data:

The sine wave looks fine.
What is the exact model of the CHINSUS?
How big is the fridge?
It sounds like your system cannot handle the compressor startup surge current. What else are running beside the fridge?

Many traditional refrig's have positive temp coefficient thermistor in series with their start capacitor. Besides waiting from refrigerant to equalize you have to wait a while (about 10-15 mins) after turning off power to refrigerator before you apply power again to allow time for thermistor to cool off.

If the thermistor is still hot you will not get the effects of starting capacitor startup assist and refrig will have greater initial startup surge current. Sometimes the compressor just grunts and throws the thermal protection breaker out. You then have to wait a very long time, like an hour or two, for compressor to cool down and reset its thermal overload switch.

Don't use a step-down transformer. Use a 10x or 100x probe to measure higher voltages.

For all the practical purposes your sine wave looks near perfect. Utility network sinewave is often lot worse than that.

you could have bad connection on wiring, too small battery, too small wires etc.
Does your inverter work ok if you load it close to maximum load with resistive load ?(heaters, water kettles, etc)

Back