diy solar

diy solar

Help setting up battery system for solar charging

chbrandt

Late last year, I built a 50ah LiFePO4 system to power my telescope (see attached). I'm using an overkill BMS with an anderson plug in the front right that I plug my AC charger into. Now I'm hoping to purchase a 120w solar panel that I'd like to use to charge this setup when I'm off the grid camping. I may add a 2nd panel later in the future, but not sure. From my research, I was thinking of getting the Victron MPPT 75|15, wiring up another anderson plug that plugs into the scope with the other ends going into the batt terminals on the Victron. Then I'd get another cable that plugs into the MC4 output from the panel with the other end going into the PV on the Victron. Is that it? Do I absolutely need breakers? Do I have to use the Load inputs on the Victron? Thanks in advance!

Chris

Attachments

• 20211111_222202.jpg
    20211111_222202.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 11
Cool setup.

50Ah * 12.8V = 640Wh

With good sun and tilt/orientation, a single 100W panel can provide the majority of that energy in a single day.

You only need fuse/breaker between MPPT and battery. If you put more than two panels in parallel on the MPPT, each panel/string will need a fuse/breaker.

Back