diy solar

diy solar

Help to choose Breaker Panel

Catsassend

I have a Magnum all in one with the Mini Magnum Panel (MMP) 250-30D, and am trying to comb through all the terminology (main, lug, loadcentre, sub, leg, phase...) to purchase a panel so I can bring power from the MMP to two 120v 30 amp RV shore plugs plus a few 15 or 20 amp circuits. I bought a Siemens 100 Amp multiple application loadcentre but it turned out to be (1 phase, 3 wires) so I will have to return that. I am quite lost with all the terminology. Help!!

1. The MMP has two 30 amp Ac Output breakers, L1 and L2 - Does this mean Leg 1 and Leg 2? Which would mean I need a split phase/2 phase panel to connect it to?
  2. I know a main has a shutoff switch, is that also a breaker?
  3. Can a main be used as a sub panel?
  4. Does a subpanel have a main breaker that shuts off the panel?
  5. I am not connecting to the utility, and I think I can just run the generator through the MMP when needed, so I don't think I need a panel between the generator and the MMP. Is this correct?
  6. I am at the point in my research that I think that I need at least a 100 amp main breaker, 2 leg, 1 phase with the possibility to add arc breakers in the future (because Canada will require arc faults in bedrooms next year, I heard and if I want to move this system to my cabin, I will have to be up to date), as well as 2x - 1 phase 30 amp breakers, and 1x - 20 amp breaker. Is this correct? Can I do this with a sub and what do I look for?
  7. Anyone know a good panel to do this? or what I should look for?
Edit: Those two RV shore plugs are 120v, not 240v.

Last edited:
Thank you. Because you said," The siemens panel will be fine for this." I looked at it again. I see now that it does indeed have two "legs" and I totally understand how to hook this up. L1 to Line A, and L2 to Line B, and then the neutral and the ground. sigh I think I just needed someone else opinion. Now wish me luck finding the breakers. 30 amp breakers seem to be a hot commodity in my neck of the woods.

Back