diy solar

diy solar

Help Troubleshooting Split-Phase System

Old_Skewler

Solar Enthusiast
I have an operational split-phase system based on a Kohler 12kW Gas Generator coupled to a Schneider Conext SW4048 + 48V 100Ah battery.

I have noticed thru the Conext control panel that occasionally the generator is outputting only one of the hot wires properly - so instead of getting L1-L2=240V, I am getting L1-L2=120V and L1-N=120V & L2-N=0V. This is not consistent and other times I read the expected L1-L2=240V.

I suspect this points to the generator but I am not sure what else to do or how to rule out any other possibility.

Could someone with more experience troubleshooting electrical systems tell me what to do next?

Here is a summary of what has been done so far:

- From inverter to cabin [Inverter Output], I am getting the correct L1-L2=240V consistently.
- Inverter CP sometimes reads L1&L2=120V but sometimes L2=0V - see photo below.
- I checked voltage in the wiring between Generator-Inverter and I have confirmed that sometimes I am getting L2=0V

Screenshot_20221014-114025_Chrome.jpg

Check at all connection points. Start at the generator. If it's not putting out power on L2, then you don't need to look any further. Because the problem is in the generator.

Check the voltage on each side of the breaker built into the generator first. I have seen one pole of a double pole breaker fail.

Check at all connection points. Start at the generator. If it's not putting out power on L2, then you don't need to look any further. Because the problem is in the generator.
Okay, confirmed the only circuitry missing L2 is from the generator output to Inverter Input.

With this reading and a load is added would this trigger some voltage?
I had a small load (battery charger, around 1kW) on generator and still L2 voltage error.

Check the voltage on each side of the breaker built into the generator first. I have seen one pole of a double pole breaker fail.
There is a breaker on the generator body, is this the one you refer to? Or another breaker INSIDE the generator? See photo below. Ironically after I switched it back and forth then run the generator, I was getting the L1-L2=240V. I am not sure if playing around with the breaker did it or just a mere coincidence.

I suspect I need to replace this breaker, correct? I hope it is accessible after removing the side panel?

20221015_095620.jpg

Screenshot_20221015-095606_Chrome.jpg

Could have just been tripped.
To reset it you turn it off until it clicks and return it to on.
If needed, it is replaceable.
It is a Square D QO270 and can be found locally.

Back