diy solar

diy solar

Help us design a rack-mounted system for the UK

No... but now I'm intrigued why...

Are we talking of its overall design/looks, shape, colour, small footprint, price, performance, has lots of buttons to press? Or all of the above? ;)
if it had pigtails and wore fishnets ....

I see stock must have caught up with demand at Fogstar as these are available from stock now.

Fogstar Energy Server Rack Battery 48V (5.12kWh)

Hello,

It's my first time posting here, we run a small business in the UK - but have offices and warehousing in China (www.fogstar.co.uk). We have several customers on this forum and thank you if you have purchased prismatic cells from us in the past.

We're looking to design a rack-mounted 48v 100Ah battery - however, we've come to a point where there are design specifications that we'd like feedback on. We'd like to ask all you knowledgeable folk what you'd like to see as a consumer. We're extremely honest, and like to tell our customers everything about what's inside of each rack - something we believe is missing from most retailer websites.

Cells

Some of these cells have been selected due to the size of the rack we are trying to create (3U) - most Chinese racks are using Gotion grade B cells - and quoting something like 7000+cycles. This is simply not true, however, they are extremely cheap.

EVE 100LA Grade A
  • 100Ah
  • Will fit in a 3U system
  • Good cycle life
  • Good relationship with Eve
  • Expensive
Gotion 100 Grade A
  • 100Ah
  • Average cycle life
  • No pre-existing relationship
  • Cheaper
Gotion 100 Grade B
  • Most racks using this cell
  • 100Ah
  • Bad cycle life
  • No pre-existing relationship
  • Cheapest
BMS (JBD vs Pace vs ?)

Pace

The general consensus in China is that PACE makes the best BMS for storage batteries (found in Jakiper Batteries). They've been established longer than JBD, however, they don't have much of a following. 5 inverter protocols can be programmed into each Pace BMS - however a new version of the pace BMS will soon be able to handle 10 inverter protocols.
  • Expensive
  • 5 Inverter Protocols (10 soon)
  • Lack of APP. but we could make one
  • Windows Software
  • Less of a following and community projects
  • More Reliable (?)
JBD
  • Inexpensive
  • 5 Inverter Protocols
  • App
  • Windows Software
  • Popular, with community projects
  • Less reliable (?)

Any other BMS suggestions? Seplos? (although I think pace make this) JK?

I think the EVE LA with a JBD BMS is the best solution. Cells we really believe in, with a BMS that seems to be tried and tested.

Let me know your thoughts, happy to upload spec sheets of each cell if it helps

Thanks,

Ben
Fogstar
Can you share Pace 100A bms spec ?

There are plenty of boxes out there, but they will cost you more that you're willing to spend.
There is not box under 200
I'm thinking on Luyuan's, that is around that price point, delivered.
I'm about to get 2 of those, but if something more... interesting/ cheap / better specced appears, I may in for that...

Had my 5.12kWh rack battery from Fogstar for a few weeks now and I think its fab, they have done a superb cell match and I've had great customer service for the few questions I've had as well.

Well done Fogstar A++

Hi Shiv,

Yes they are compatible. I have just chosen sunsynk for my home!
Ben, what Comms cable did you use between the Sunsynk and the Seplos battery please? My Sunsynk has a yellow cable that doesn't show which end goes into the BMS or the inverter?

I've read several threads which suggest I need to make up a new Comms cable as the yellow cable the Sunsynk came with won't work?

Thanks

A few thoughts as a possible customer.

I am not going to order anything I can't get inside in my own, but I do have a porter trolley.

A kit where everything other then the cells is preinstalled with the cells shipped in boxes not over about 25kg would be interesting.

For a upright system on wheels there should be brackets provided to fix top to wall once installed.

Why can't a system come as 5 metel boxes (most without ends/tops) with the BMS etc in one box and 4 cells in each of the other boxes and the boxes being bolted together by the customer. The BMS box could go on top and use bolts to contact electricity to the battery boxes.

Fogstar have a new toy arriving soon ...

I have a Seplos 280L on order but am tempted to wait a couple of months for the new battery as it has a lot more features, then but two and sell my ready built 6 month old Seplos 280L at an attractive price

I am not going to order anything I can't get inside in my own, but I do have a porter trolley.
Why can't a system come as 5 metel boxes (most without ends/tops) with the BMS etc in one box and 4 cells in each of the other boxes and the boxes being bolted together by the customer. The BMS box could go on top and use bolts to contact electricity to the battery boxes.
Complication would be having low enough resistance connections between the boxes (equivalent to inter-cell bus bars) that wouldn't confuse the BMS's measurement of cell voltages.
But what you are asking for can be achieved with a rack of 5.1kWh packs, like this...

For a upright system on wheels there should be brackets provided to fix top to wall once installed.

I got the same kit, and as long as you put the rubber feet down, and then use them to tilt it back slightly, there's basically no chance it's going to fall over.

Just out of curiosity, I tried to tip it over when installing it, and I ended up having to bear hug it and pull it forward as if I was intentionally trying to damage it.

Weighing in easily over 100kg, she's got a lot of gravity in her, but if you did want to tie it to the wall, getting some aluminum strip from B&Q and bolting that to the wall would be your best bet.
1702438805002.png

Back