diy solar

diy solar

Help us design a rack-mounted system for the UK

Hey Rich,

It'll be cheaper per kwh, won't need the cabinet and will also use EVE LF280K cells
Hmm - I purchased 16 EVE LF280K cells from Fogstar a while back for my dad's DIY battery. Wondering if Fogstar is insterested in offering a DIY kit solutions for the case (not that I need a case as such, but I'm sure the Fogstar solution would be more robust that my DIY jobby!)

Sorting supply issues now and scaling up to handle the demand - also excited for the 15kwh battery we have planned, just waiting for a custom 300A BMS to be made and a custom JK active balancer.
300A to support 1C charge/discharge?

1C is good but does impact cycle life. LF280K quotes 6000 cycles (until capacity drops to 80%), but this is at 0.5C. 1C will be closer to 4000 cycles.

300A to support 1C charge/discharge?

1C is good but does impact cycle life. LF280K quotes 6000 cycles (until capacity drops to 80%), but this is at 0.5C. 1C will be closer to 4000 cycles.
Yeah, it was more to be able to run a 10KW inverter, without running a 200A BMS extremely close to its limit. We could limit it to 0.5C, but would only run a 7Kw inverter. I guess this is the customer's choice, as long as we make them aware of the downfalls of running it at a higher C rate and the reduced cycle life.

Have you considered a 48V 50Ah rack offering with the possibility to expand the storage up to 8 in parallel?

The 48V offerings are a bit expensive to get started with, while not everyone is looking to build a massive solar panel system or doesn't have the space for PV required, but is interested in the benefits of running things on 48V with a mind at ease due to product warranty.

I think there's a market for this offering.

Sub-ish 1000$ 48V 50Ah rack would be really attractive to get started with, and if there would be an option to expand the capacity further given time, that kind of offer would be really something imo.

With up to 8 in parallel, things can get a bit more on the 'massive' size side, but with a lot lower 48V entry cost.

Just a thought.

Best,
D.

[/QUOTE]
Have you considered a 48V 50Ah rack offering with the possibility to expand the storage up to 8 in parallel?

The 48V offerings are a bit expensive to get started with, while not everyone is looking to build a massive solar panel system or doesn't have the space for PV required, but is interested in the benefits of running things on 48V with a mind at ease due to product warranty.

I think there's a market for this offering.

Sub-ish 1000$ 48V 50Ah rack would be really attractive to get started with, and if there would be an option to expand the capacity further given time, that kind of offer would be really something imo.

With up to 8 in parallel, things can get a bit more on the 'massive' size side, but with a lot lower 48V entry cost.

Just a thought.

Best,
D.
Thanks D.

Definitely something to consider. The cells are 95% of the cost, EVE charge us per Wh, whichever cells we use - so could do a much smaller system with 50Ah and it would be around half the cost.

Thanks D.

Definitely something to consider. The cells are 95% of the cost, EVE charge us per Wh, whichever cells we use - so could do a much smaller system with 50Ah and it would be around half the cost.
[/QUOTE]

15kWh is a sweet spot I think, in the UK. The only downside is the weight of a single unit. In my situation we use 10kWh a day so a 15kWh battery gives a nice bit of leeway and the option of using more electric cooking and heating.

I have to wonder if 19" rack is not ideal. Maybe a vertical/horizontal stack of 16x 320Ah cells? Packaging is a big issue, with many having to to put the battery outside. In these cases, fancy LCD displays are pointless but a proper IP65 rated enclosure that is theft proof would be optimal!

@Ben@Fogstar I found you're battery the other week and suggested it to a friend, he ordered one, and a Solis inverter. It seems Solis will void the warranty if used with a battery that is not on their compatible list, any chance of getting one to Solis so they can approve it? Pylontech is on their list, but I bet this is far better quality.

Think a 10KW inverter is pretty niche! Vast majority are 3.6 and 5's
I've got an 8kw inverter, currently running off one 16s battery. Cell's came from Fogstar and my next batch are on back order.

@Ben@Fogstar I found you're battery the other week and suggested it to a friend, he ordered one, and a Solis inverter. It seems Solis will void the warranty if used with a battery that is not on their compatible list, any chance of getting one to Solis so they can approve it? Pylontech is on their list, but I bet this is far better quality.

I've got an 8kw inverter, currently running off one 16s battery. Cell's came from Fogstar and my next batch are on back order.
Hey Ron, that's pretty rubbish from Solis. But apparently lead acid battery setups do not void the warranty!. I will contact them and find out the fees.

@Ben@Fogstar Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. He did contact Solis, and the reply he got back suggested it wouldn't be a problem, but stated they reserved the right to void his warranty, it would probably be fine, but still a worrying situation to be in.

My friend has emailed Fogstar early on Thursday, but not received a reply though I do appreciate you all probably get a ton of emails to work through, he's tried to register here but having registration issues.

@Ben@Fogstar Had you thought of supplying blanking plugs in the RJ45 sockets to save them becoming unusable over time?
What is the usual method of earthing these batteries? I noticed a threaded hole lower left front panel, is that for earthing, if so it will need paint removal.
Is there a built in soft start upon pressing the start button?
When used with a Solis inverter, will I have to select any battery type or just connect the CAN cable and let the battery talk to the inverter?

I emailed your sales department early last Thursday 9th March with questions and apart from the "Your request (24764) has been received" I have heard nothing since.

@Ben@Fogstar Had you thought of supplying blanking plugs in the RJ45 sockets to save them becoming unusable over time?
What is the usual method of earthing these batteries? I noticed a threaded hole lower left front panel, is that for earthing, if so it will need paint removal.
Is there a built in soft start upon pressing the start button?
When used with a Solis inverter, will I have to select any battery type or just connect the CAN cable and let the battery talk to the inverter?

I emailed your sales department early last Thursday 9th March with questions and apart from the "Your request (24764) has been received" I have heard nothing since.

Yes really cool blanking plugs. I have been looking for some recently. Yes the hole is for earthing, and the next version will have the paint removed.

The solis inverter can use the JL_CAN protocol, or the pylontech protocol. We're working on documentation for different inverters integrations.

I note from your message that solis don't support none approved batteries. We do not state that they approve us, we have contacted them but have yet to recieve a reply. Its impossible for us to contact 100+ inverter manufacturers and get on a approval list. SOK, Jakiper, EG4 etc are all not approved, very small amount of batteries are.

There is a built in soft-start. Breaker on, and then the battery on.

Last edited:
The solis inverter can use the JL_CAN protocol, or the pylontech protocol. We're working on documentation for different inverters integrations.
I already tried using Pylontech protocol today and the inverter alarmed within 10mins so ive had to go "for user defined" which is why I have called you today for the safe numbers to use.

@Oldman2 don't forget Pylontech batteries only use 15 cells so runs at a slightly lower voltage, Fogstar uses 16 cells, hence you may get an over voltage warning depending on how things work.
The alarm was "Battery name fail" so it seems the can bus checks if the battery really is a pythontech or not.

Pretty shameful an inverter manufacture would try and tie you to an "Approved" battery system, i thought tied selling was illegal as that's what it comes down too. Fogstar and other battery manufacturers will no doubt have to pay a fee just to be added to the list, probably with no real compatibility tests and i personally do not see how a quality 48v battery, using quality parts e.g EVE cells wouldn't be compatible with a 48v inverter. This just ends up pushing costs up for battery suppliers and consumers. Least i know to avoid Pylontech when i upgrade to 48v as i will be using Fogstar batteries for sure.

Surely the issue is with Solis in the above example from Oldman2 not the battery manufacturer who's communication for he's trying to use? I bet all the inverter manufacturers have systems they've tested and confirm there are no compatibility issues but when technologies change it can be tricky to keep up with all the possible options. Ultimately choice for the consumer is good, but untested pairings come with risk/teething issues

Manufacturers need to be more helpful

They could like Victron say here are some settings for different batteries , if you dont have those use these

Back