diy solar

diy solar

Help... wire size

skatekr89

Hi everyone,

While installing my solar system, I noticed a flaw which was that I lost my slide out motor... it was wired elsewhere on the old battery line.

I placed my lifepo4 battery at the back of the rv but now it turns out I need to pull new wires from the back to the front if I want to keep it this way... which is pretty much my only option right now.

That means, from battery to 12v distribution on rv panel, I will now have approx 50' each of cables (red/black) or 100ft total. (Pretty much going from back of rv, to the front, and back again to panel).

Is a #6 stranded wire ok for this? This is what is currently going from front to back. Note these are for 12v loads only. Inverter and rest of system is wired appropriately for their loads.

Thanks

Is a #6 stranded wire ok for this?
Pure copper 6 awg can just about handle 10 amps over 100 feet round trip.
I would guess your slide will draw significantly more than 10 amps especially for the first second to get the rotor spinning?

Is the motor getting insufficient power to start or no power at all?

Last edited:
Pure copper 6 awg can just about handle 10 amps over 100 feet round trip.
I would guess your slide will draw significantly more than 10 amps especially for the first second to get the rotor spinning?

If the motor getting insignificant power to start or no power at all?
No power. I originally removed my pos/neg cables from the original battery and replaced them with new wires from the new battery at the back of the rv. This cut the power to the motor entirely.

The slide out motor is in line with the original battery circuit at the front of the rv.

So to keep it simple, the best way is to pull new wires from the back all the way to the front connect them to the original circuit which goes back to the rear of the rv into my 12v panel.

Just cant figure out if 6 awg is enough.

Attachments

• 20220625_120133.jpg
    20220625_120133.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 6
Just cant figure out if 6 awg is enough.
Probably not, but no one can tell you without more information.

Amps/current is the needed information to determine wire gauge.
Actual current measurement would be ideal.
Motor information with a spec sheet would probably suffice.
The current wire gauge to the slide motors would give a good base line in a pinch.

@skatekr89 do you also have a powered jack?
If yes, does it work?
I'm wondering what that maxi fuse is protecting?
You should check to see if that fuse is blown.

@skatekr89 do you also have a powered jack?
If yes, does it work?
I'm wondering what that maxi fuse is protecting?
You should check to see if that fuse is blown.
Its not blown. I cut the circuit at the wrong spot when connecting the new battery which has been relocated to the back of the rv.

The fuse protects the slideout motor. Its an autoreset fuse or something. This is where both original pos/neg cables connect. This is where i need to bring new wires from new battery but it doubles the distance to the 12v panel that powers fridge, pump, etc.

Probably not, but no one can tell you without more information.

Amps/current is the needed information to determine wire gauge.
Actual current measurement would be ideal.
Motor information with a spec sheet would probably suffice.
The current wire gauge to the slide motors would give a good base line in a pinch.
Still locating the exact specs of my motor but based of best info I have so far, it's around 9amps @ 12v for the slideout motor. From busbar to motor its 10awg wire.
But this cable needs to power 12v loads in rv as well (fridge, pump, etc). 6awg is rated for 100amps. I know an rv doesn't draw that much lol

Perhaps this tool can help:

Also, is there a generator / charger / alternator involved here? that may help to keep voltage values higher as the load is applied. Will a motor draw more current if the voltage falls?

Back