diy solar

diy solar

Help with best settings

Evolution80

New to technology of solar, please be gentle. Looking for help with understand and best settings to apply to my setup.
I have a single 200w panel on roof of motor home connecting to a EPEVER Triron 2210N charge controller with single Halfords HLB700 ( a rebranded Yuasa L36 )
Would like to know what to apply to each section:

Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage:
Charging Limit Voltage:
Over Voltage Reconnect Voltage:
Equalize Charging Voltage:
Boost Charging Voltage:
Float Charging Voltage:
Boost Reconnect Charging Voltage:
Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage:
Under Voltage Warning Reconnect Voltage:
Under Voltage warning Voltage:
Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage:
Discharge Limit Voltage:

Equalize Duration:
Boost Duration:

I also have a Victron SmartShunt 500A - best setting for this for:
Charged Voltage for my battery

Any input to give explanations of settings and recommended settings to use would be very grateful.

OK you are in the UK, ( as I am).
Halford ( an auto parts store) HLB 700 is a EFB 100 Ah sealed lead acid battery, basically a vehicle starter battery that can also be used in leisure applications .
Setting up the Epever is easy , follow the instructions and select 'sealed' battery, the default values are OK.

Note of the list of settings only, boost, float , equalise, boost reconnect, and the boost/ equalise durations, effect charging.
The rest relate to the load outputs of the controller, load outputs are rarely used in a camper application.

The victron shunt will need programming with battery capacity, set to 100 Ah.

The other values may need slight adjustment, they if i rememer correctly default to a lead acid setting.
When charging with solar the 'charged voltage' should be set to 0.1 or 0.2 volts below the solar charge voltage, boost volts, thus setting to 14.2 volts. Perhaps set the 'tail current' to 2%.

The victron syncs to 100% soc, when, the volts are higher than charge volts,14.2, and the current has fallen below, tail current, 2 amps, and these conditions have existed for, time to go, 3 minutes.

You may need to fine tune values once you have gained experience.

A rough guide to a full battery is when the battery voltage, no load ,no charge, reads 12.8 to 13.0 volts.

The SOC reading on the Epever is a guess based on voltage and should be disregarded.

Note the diagram in the Epever instructions, (in my copy), fig 2.1, shows a connection from the battery positive to ground, chassis/van metal, this is not correct for a vehicle, battery negative is connected to the vehicle 'ground', van metal.
Note this diagram indicates where protctive fusing should be in the system, as near the battery positive as practical.

Mike

Last edited:
Great information, thanks for time and effort. Happy with what I have settings currently set to. Wiring I’m happy with as done a lot of electrical wiring - wiring and fusing very appropriate for each connection. Managed full 24hrs off grid comfortably with internet, small compressor fridge, raspberry pi - VRM reporting, security camera, various lighting, usb charging and tv for a few hours.

Thanks again

Back