diy solar

diy solar

Help with cable sizing

9mile

Just looking for some confirmation on some cable sizing that I'm doing for my solar array. It's going to be 2 strings of 7 panels 400w each 9.2 imp... operating voltage of 43.2. I would like to combine them and run to my batteries which is around 200 feet away. Curious what everyone's calculation of wire size would be. And do I try for a 2% loss or is 5% fine for solar?

7 panels x 43v each = 301v @ 9a. 2 of these would be 301v @ 18a. The typical 10awg (30a) 'panel wiring' will be OK for 200ft - I would not expect much loss at this moderate distance. You don't say if its an outdoor / in-conduit / underground run. In addition to gauge you need wire (coating) that supports the physical situation :)

So to be clear, you are talking about 2 parallel strings of 7 series connected panels for a total of: 18.4A @ 302.4V over a 400ft round trip distance?

7 panels x 43v each = 301v @ 9a. 2 of these would be 301v @ 18a. The typical 10awg (30a) 'panel wiring' will be OK for 200ft - I would not expect much loss at this moderate distance. You don't say if its an outdoor / in-conduit / underground run. In addition to gauge you need wire (coating) that supports the physical situation :)
Yes wiring will be in the house for a short distance in conduit and the rest will be Underground. Everything I'm coming up with says I can use 12 gauge but wanting someone to confirm what's acceptable loss

So to be clear, you are talking about 2 parallel strings of 7 series connected panels for a total of: 18.2A @ 302.4V over a 400ft round trip distance?
Correct, I guess I've never heard it called round trip distance but it is 200 feet total between point of production and charge controller

Yes wiring will be in the house for a short distance in conduit and the rest will be Underground. Everything I'm coming up with says I can use 12 gauge but wanting someone to confirm what's acceptable loss
I'm reading that you have a 200ft run. @Dzl is thinking 400ft run. 12awg will carry 18amps over 200ft - it 'might' get a little warm / loss of power. For example, I run #6awg with 5 parallel strings of 9.x amps = 45a (or so) over 150ft and it get's 'a little warm' in conduit... so there's some loss - but this is negligible to the 15% loss I get with my inverter. I think we're talking 3% vs 2% kind of thing.

Reactions: Dzl
Correct, I guess I've never heard it called round trip distance but it is 200 feet total between point of production and charge controller
Unless you use a calculator that specifically uses one way distance (some do, some don't) and multiplies by two behind the scenes, you need to use round trip distance (total amount of wire in the circuit).

So if there is 200ft between Array and Controller that is 400ft of wire, and 400ft of resistance. That is what matters in a technical sense, you just need to know the calculator you are using expects as the input.

20amps over a 400ft (2*200...when it comes to electrical drop you need to include the TOTAL electrical path, it is always measured this way)

that is a very serious distance even for a 20amp circuit and would result in a voltage drop of over 6% with 10awg wire.
You should use at least 4awg wire...but its your call.

here is a voltage drop calculator link for you to play with ;-)

Last edited:
Using the values I think are accurate for you, I get just under 3% Vdrop @ 10AWG and just under 5% Vdrop @ 12AWG

(the calculator I am using and the calculator @Diysolar123 is using return substantially different results for reasons I haven't quite pinned down (possibly different assumptions about the wire). And doing the math by hand (using this wire resistance chart) returns results closer to my calculator, but still a little bit different.
Definitely where I have concerns. Were you using four hundred feet or two hundred feet as your input?

Definitely where I have concerns. Were you using 400 feet or 200 feet as your distance?
400ft (total length) / 200ft 'one way', if you click the link, you can see the assumptions I made (302.4 VDC, 18.4A, 400ft total copper wire -- most of the other fields don't matter for this calculation)

My guess is that that other calculator assumed aluminum wire which has higher resistance but I cant say for sure.

Here is how the math works:
[voltage drop] = [current] * [resistance]
(where resistance is Ohms (resistance) per foot * number of feet in the circuit)

Then:
[voltage drop] / [voltage] * 100 = Voltage Drop %

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So for instance, using 10AWG copper wire:
Vdrop = 18.4 A * (0.0009989 Ω/ft * 400 ft)
Vdrop = 7.352V

(7.352V / 302.4V) * 100 = 2.43% Voltage Drop

edit: one caveat, the NEC ('national electrical code' uses slightly more conservative values, for instance the same variables (10AWG copper, 18.4A, 302.4V) result in 2.89% voltage drop, not sure where the discrepancy lies, but its fairly small).

edit 2: the discrepency between the calculators was due to the second calculator not making it clear it used one-way distance. Adjusting for that, both calculators (set to NEC standards) return 2.9% voltage drop for 10AWG copper wire, 4.9% for 12AWG copper wire (pretty convenient results if you want to stay below either 3% or 5% :D )

Last edited:
My guess is that that other calculator assumed aluminum wire which has higher resistance but I cant say for sure.

Here is how the math works:
[voltage drop] = [current] * [resistance]
(where resistance is Ohms (resistance) per foot * number of feet in the circuit)

Then:
[voltage drop] / [voltage] * 100 = Voltage Drop %

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So for instance, using 10AWG copper wire:
Vdrop = 18.4 A * (0.0009989 Ω/ft * 400 ft)
Vdrop = 7.352V

(7.352V / 302.4V) * 100 = 2.43% Voltage Drop

edit: one caveat, the NEC ('national electrical code' uses slightly more conservative values, for instance the same variables (10AWG copper, 18.4A, 302.4V) result in 2.89% voltage drop, not sure where the discrepancy lies, but its fairly small).
Sure seems like the math points to your direction as far as wire sizing. I can't imagine having to go to 4 gauge. I've had other people tell me 12 as well so it seems like 10 gauge covers me with some breathing room.

Sure seems like the math points to your direction as far as wire sizing. I can't imagine having to go to 4 gauge. I've had other people tell me 12 as well so it seems like 10 gauge covers me with some breathing room.
I figured out the discrepancy (most of it), see my later edits in the previous comment:

edit 2: the discrepency between the calculators was due to the second calculator not making it clear it used one-way distance. Adjusting for that, both calculators (set to NEC standards) return 2.9% voltage drop for 10AWG copper wire, 4.9% for 12AWG copper wire (pretty convenient results if you want to stay below either 3% or 5% :D )
Both calculators and my own math now show 10AWG is between 2.43% and 2.9%

I figured out the discrepancy (most of it), see my later edits in the previous comment:

Both calculators and my own math now show 10AWG is between 2.43% and 2.9%
Thank you so much for chasing down that discrepancy. I was getting widely different numbers as well and started getting nervous that I needed way bigger wire than I had budgeted for.

Reactions: Dzl
Using the values I think are accurate for you, I get just under 3% Vdrop @ 10AWG and just under 5% Vdrop @ 12AWG

(the calculator I am using and the calculator @Diysolar123 is using return substantially different results for reasons I haven't quite pinned down (possibly different assumptions about the wire). And doing the math by hand (using this wire resistance chart) returns results closer to my calculator, but still a little bit different.

none of them are "wrong" as it is not possible to get an exact answer unless you have more information about the exact cable and environment.

calculators all seem to pick slightly different values for copper wire electrical resistance... the local temperature alone can make a significant difference for long runs.

for example, here are the values used for 1000ft of copper 10awg wire from different sites:

1.02 at 77F, and 1.18 at 149F... so they do include the fact that resistance does change based on temperature; the longer the wire the more critical this becomes.

has just a single number of 0.9989

Cable resistance: 1.189 Ω/1000ft

so west marine uses the LOWEST resistance/1000ft, jcalc uses the highest resistance...

if it is colder the resistance will be even lower, if the wire warms up it could be higher (well, probably not higher than 149F unless something has gone wrong hehe)

It is just a simple calculation, but it is dependent on range of resistance values based on environment (and of course wire construction)...

Okay, but there has to be an acceptable answer. First 75 feet of wire will be in a house in conduit, second part will be buried underground in conduit. The difference between 4 awg and10awg is pretty extreme for calculators to vary that amount. And cost is substantially different as well. So what is the answer other than just going with bigger wire

I used the first value 0.9989 in my calcs (edit: but just to be clear that is the baseline value, there could be (and likely are) other variables or multipliers beyond that)

As to temperature, good point. I believe but am not 100% positive both the NEC (US electrical code) and the ABYC (Marine industry electrical code), assume 30C/86F as the baseline value for ambient temperature in many cases (I know this is true of Ampacity tables, not sure about resistance)

Last edited:
Okay, but there has to be an acceptable answer. First 75 feet of wire will be in a house in conduit, second part will be buried underground in conduit. The difference between 4 awg and10awg is pretty extreme for calculators to vary that amount. And cost is substantially different as well. So what is the answer other than just going with bigger wire
IF this is for a structure/house and you are in the US, and you don't want to obsess over the details to the extent that we do here. Find a calculator that is based on NEC solar wiring guidelines/values and use that. Or oversize and spent the extra $$.

I believe the value I used 0.9989 is what the NEC uses for 10AWG (or at least did in 2008)

edit: also I should note, I am not an expert in any of this.

Back