diy solar

diy solar

Help with Conext AGS/SW4048/ComBox

Mountain_Comm

I have a Conext SW4048 inverter at my off grid site. I am getting ready to add a propane generator to run when the solar isn't keeping up. I purchased a Conext ComBox and Conext AGS.

I want to set the ComBox and AGS with the generator here at my shop the get the generator working correctly and then take the ComBox, AGS and generator up to the site. The SW4048 inverter is already at the site and running.

I am able to get into the ComBox thru the web interface. I have powered it thru the 9-24 VDC Power connector and the 24VDC pins on the RS-485 connector.

The trouble I am having is the AGS wont power on? All I have to hook it to is the Combox. I am a little confused were the AGS gets its power. It is from the Xanbus lines? I have plugged the network terminator on the unused port of both the ComBox and AGS. I have read that the Xanbus device get their power from the inverter.

What am I missing?

Please define what AGS means, not familiar with that acronym.

See if my documented screw up helps :

I am able to get into the ComBox thru the web interface. I have powered it thru the 9-24 VDC Power connector and the 24VDC pins on the RS-485 connector.

The trouble I am having is the AGS wont power on? All I have to hook it to is the Combox. I am a little confused were the AGS gets its power. It is from the Xanbus lines? I have plugged the network terminator on the unused port of both the ComBox and AGS. I have read that the Xanbus device get their power from the inverter.

What am I missing?
Yes, Xanbus is like POE, data and power over the twisted pairs. I know inverters power the bus, possibly charge controllers too

Definitely not the combox, gateway, or insight. Those are powered from the bus.

From the MPPT60 Installation & Owner's Guide:

Xanbus power supply—When only solar charge controllers are installed, a
Xanbus power supply is required to supply network power. The charge
controller does not provided Xanbus power. The solar charge controller will
communicate with other solar charge controllers, but the units can not supply
network power to any other devices.
In systems that combine solar charge controllers with other Xanbus-enabled
devices, the Conext XW+ provides the required 15 Vdc/200 mA network
power.

The AGS requires Xanbus power as @400bird said. The ComBox has it's own separate supply, but does not power the Xanbus.

If your generator has a two-wire interface and handles its own start/retry along with cool down then hooking it up should be pretty simple. If you want to use the AGS to totally manage the generator operation it is more involved.

You can only use the state of charge settings if you have a Schneider battery monitor, at least with my older XW6048. You can't set the shut down above 95% so I never used it with lead acid batteries. Now with LiFePO4, mine is setup with a low voltage trigger to start and it shuts down on transition from a brief absorb to float.

Here are my settings for a 48V system with a two-wire contact closure to start the generator:

Generator

ParameterValue
Generator Type14
Starter Cool Down Time1 s
Generator Cool Down Time60 s
Generator Spin Down Time300 s
Maximum Generator Run Time12 hours
Generator Exercise Period21 days
Generator Exercise Duration30 min
Generator Exercise Start Time9 AM
Relay 3 FunctionNot Used
Generator Run Signal Hold Time0 s
Generator Crank Start Delay0 s
Generator Crank Time0 s
Generator Crank Retry Time0 s
Generator Preheat Time0 s
Generator Start Tries1
Triggers

ParameterValue
Starting Battery Voltage (30 Seconds)50.6 V
Starting Battery Voltage (15 Minutes)50.8 V
Starting Battery Voltage (2 Hours)0 V
Starting Battery Voltage (24 Hours)0 V
Generator Stop At Float StageEnabled
Generator Stop At Absorption StageDisabled
Stop Voltage0 V
Thermostat 1Disabled
Thermostat 2Disabled
Inverter Load Start/Stop TriggersDisabled
AC Current Level To Start35 A
AC Current Level To Stop7 A
AC Current Trigger Start Delay5 min
AC Current Trigger Stop Delay1 min
Generator Auto Start On Battery SOCDisabled
State Of Charge Level To Start Generator60 %
State Of Charge Level To Stop Generator95 %

I have a Conext SW4048 inverter at my off grid site. I am getting ready to add a propane generator to run when the solar isn't keeping up. I purchased a Conext ComBox and Conext AGS.

I want to set the ComBox and AGS with the generator here at my shop the get the generator working correctly and then take the ComBox, AGS and generator up to the site. The SW4048 inverter is already at the site and running.

What am I missing?
My wife and I are just getting started installing our altE Pre-wired Syst, SW4048,CL150, SCP in Northern Nevada. She had cancer and I am just recovering from a heart attack in Feb'23. I have done a lot of research on our unit and I began wondering if we should order a XW PRO 6848 do to our off grid situation while we build a home on a mountaintop. I have tried to reach Schneider and see if it is possible to parallel two 4048 to compensate for power surges from equipment. I should be looking into the additional ComBox and AGS that you are installing as well. How big of a solar array did you install to provide power to your inverter? I am trying to figure out how many charge controller(s) we should be installing to provide power to one or two paralleled units. Thank you for your comments and posts.

Back