diy solar

diy solar

Help with finding high amp charger.

You might want to replace that with higher quality wire. If I just use 10 gauge wire with crimped high quality connectors, it is barely above room temperature. My rig with the 50 amp fuse and 45 amp Anderson connectors, the Anderson connector does warm up, but not the wire. Having the fuse just makes me feel better, and the Anderson connector makes it impossible to mix up polarity. Everything is a trade off.
What current are you running when wires get hot? #10 is 0.001 ohm per foot. The fuse will add quite a bit of resistance too. If you put a known current and measure the voltage drop on each leg between charger and battery you can figure the resistance.

What current are you running when wires get hot? #10 is 0.001 ohm per foot. The fuse will add quite a bit of resistance too. If you put a known current and measure the voltage drop on each leg between charger and battery you can figure the resistance.
He is using the wire supplied by the manufacturer, I dug out the ones that came with mine, and they are less than 10 gauge. 40 amps is the maximum the supply is rated for. I used high quality 10 gauge myself, and it does not get noticeably warm. I am the one that added the fuse, not Steve. I am a bit anal retentive when dealing with something that stores as much energy as a single cell does. Tried automotive inline fuse first, but the fuse holder itself had so much resistance that even 30 amps wasn't safe (for me). Now I am using 50 amp mini anl fuses and holder. I have run just straight 10 gauge copper wire and good quality crimped terminals and nothing got warm at 40 amps.

Back