diy solar

diy solar

Help with fuse sizing on PV array

Zig

I have no background in anything electrical and the installer who will help me out with this project prefers that I switch the Midnight Solar 15 and 63 amp PV array breakers for inline breakers.

This would help also help my budget. Are those too bad? I wonder if I could substitute for this between panels and charger, and this between charger and +bus bar.

Please help me size these, if you can.

Cheers

Attachments

• RV_Solar_Diagram_05sm.pdf
    207.3 KB · Views: 13
  • RV_Solar_Diagram_05-01.jpg
    RV_Solar_Diagram_05-01.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 21
between panels and charger: Yes, you can use that Amazon device as it appears to be able to function as an on/off switch with its buttons and lever; sizing breaker to 1.56 x 2 x Isc of panel, since diagram shows 2 panels in parallel, 1.56 is a safety factor, I do not know the Isc (short circuit current) of the panel you're using.

between charger and bus bar: Looks like same device link? Sizing: looks like 4/0 awg on parallel batteries which is good for 325 amps, but I think your Multiplus is 3000 watts @ 12 volts and I think they recommend a 400 amp DC fuse. Your diagram has a 400 amp ANL fuse, that's good; and it looks like a (9003E) battery switch, that's good. I don't think the Amazon product link is appropriate here.

Hope this helps a bit

Reactions: Zig
between panels and charger: Yes, you can use that Amazon device as it appears to be able to function as an on/off switch with its buttons and lever; sizing breaker to 1.56 x 2 x Isc of panel, since diagram shows 2 panels in parallel, 1.56 is a safety factor, I do not know the Isc (short circuit current) of the panel you're using.

between charger and bus bar: Looks like same device link? Sizing: looks like 4/0 awg on parallel batteries which is good for 325 amps, but I think your Multiplus is 3000 watts @ 12 volts and I think they recommend a 400 amp DC fuse. Your diagram has a 400 amp ANL fuse, that's good; and it looks like a (9003E) battery switch, that's good. I don't think the Amazon product link is appropriate here.

Hope this helps a bit

the Isc for the panel I now intend to use is 10.52. (x1.56x2=32.82). Would I need a 30 amp breaker then?
The inline breakers I saw online were for 20 and 60 amps, PV to charger and charger to bus bar, respectively. They are rated 12v to 24v DC. My apologies for the links. I will try to edit them out.

The Midnight Solar breakers in my diagram are 150V DC. Could I swap the MS for the inline breakers of lower voltage?

Are 150v DC inline breakers made?

thank you for your help!

30 or 40 amp, maybe something line Square D QO240 breaker installed/enclosed in QO24L60NRNM.

Back