diy solar

diy solar

Help with fusing my battery’s

KeninFresno

Hello,

I have a Victron 150/35 charging up two Ampere Time 12v 200Ah batteries connected in series for 24 volt system.
The inverter is a 3000 watt Giandel unit and I’m pushing close to 1,000 watts from my array. So my questions are:

1. Are there any issues with using the bolt on fuse below? I prefer it due to the clean connection it offers.
2. Can I use a 40 amp fuse on one terminal for the charge controller and a 200 amp fuse on the other terminal for my inverter?
Are there more appropriate fuse sizes I should be looking at?
3. I have a Victron 500amp smart shunt, would I connect the ring terminal to the battery post lug or to the lug the charge controller will land on?
4. Anything I should have asked and did not?

Thank you all for the assistance!!!!

Dual MRBF Terminal Fuse Block - 30 to 300A​

That looks good to me

I would connect the shunt to the post you are wanting to measure (probably the inverter post).

I suggest adding a relay to one of the pv wires before it goes to the charge controller and power the relay after the 40A fuse. That way if the 40A fuse blows it will instantly disconnect the pv from the charge controller.

I found a 200a circuit breaker was too small for a 3000w inverter on 24v when powering big loads (1400w pressure cleaner), I was getting nuisance trips so I doubled up on my cable size and went to a 300a breaker.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion pollenface. Follow up questions, those blue sea cube fuses say max voltage 58 volts, assuming since I have 24 volt system it is a nonissue? Do you happen to have a diagram depicting a relay prior to the charge controller? Not sure if I’ve ever seen that type of setup previously. Thanks again!

I don't think 24v will be an issue.

Something like this.
pv-disconnect-relay.png

Back