diy solar

diy solar

Help with MPP LV 6048

Stewfish

In the 5048 you jump L1 and L2 to get AC input charging. There is no L2 on the LV6548 if you are just using one inverter.

I'm trying to get my generator to charge the batteries. It is running the load, but not charging. This seems like a common problem, but I can't find a solution in the manual or online for the LV 6548.

Do I jump Line (L) input to L output??? That seems wrong

First thing I did was set it to 10 amp charging from 30a. I'm using a normal 12g extension cord vs a thick RV cord from the generators' 30a RV port.

Update: looks like the manual says hot/black is L1 and Neutral/white is L2. If so, why in the world with single phase 1 inverter would I jump + and (-). Sounds like it would blow a generator breaker to me.

Update 2 the second page pic show 4 wires and is wrong, below is the real world picture with 3 leads input not 4 leads.

Update 3 that online manual for the same model is different from my paper manual which doesn't show that diagram

Update 4 - It worked and then stopped and is now just powering the house load again (only 248w). I had it working- I had to switch it to solar first, not solar+utility (its night time - not sure if that matters) but it seems counter intuitive. My last thought about it was maybe solar+grid refers to them running at the same time vs switching from solar first then to utility (as per "back to grid settings?)

I'm not sure what they do but I tried to logically adjust these. I think back to grid is when the inverter will try to trigger the generator starter.

I forgot what they were but I changed:

Back to grid voltage is 49v
and
Back to discharge is 51v

Screenshot_20211213-032447.png

IMG_20211213_033140751_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211213_034521849.jpg
IMG_20211213_034549216.jpg
Screenshot_20211213-034838.png

Last edited:
Are you inputting 120V with 0 degrees phase shift? In other words, from a single 120V outlet? Then you wire according to first diagram.

Is your genset 240V capable? Or is it simply 120V without phase shift? That needs to be determined.

You appear to be using a 30a RV cord with a 30a RV receptacle on the generator. This is simply 120V with 0 degrees phase shift, only one hot leg, a neutral and a ground. As such, the wiring would still be the first diagram. What does the cord and receptacles look like?

Are you inputting 120V with 0 degrees phase shift? In other words, from a single 120V outlet? Then you wire according to first diagram.

Is your genset 240V capable? Or is it simply 120V without phase shift? That needs to be determined.

You appear to be using a 30a RV cord with a 30a RV receptacle on the generator. This is simply 120V with 0 degrees phase shift, only one hot leg, a neutral and a ground. As such, the wiring would still be the first diagram. What does the cord and receptacles look like?

Like I said a normal extension cord not the RV plug, so that is 120v. Only 240 can be split phase thats what 240 in the US is (two 120v legs phasing).

Also my book, last two pics, doesnt show a diagram. I only have three inputs L, N, and ground. The online version must be wrong.

I think its a settings issue since it worked for a time.

Last edited:
Like I said a normal extension cord not the RV plug, so that 120v.
Only 240 can be split phase thats what 240 in the US is (two 120v legs phasing) and I dont think any where does 60v x 2 legs to get 120v split phase.

Also my book, last two pics, doesnt show a diagram. I only have three inputs L, N, and ground. The online version must be wrong.

That is f'ed up. I looked thru the manual and at your photo and you only have the one AC input. You have that hooked up correctly.
I think its a settings issue since it worked for a time.
Charging source should be solar and utility. Setting 16, you can use CSO, CUE, or SNU. Either one should allow battery charging as long as PV is not available. This is just to see if charging occurs. You will probably want CSO to charge off solar first, then utility once you get things working. One thing with setting 16, it states at the bottom:
"If this inverter/charger is working in Battery mode, only solar energy can charge battery. Solar energy will charge battery if it's available and sufficient."

Also, look at the battery charging settings. Setting 12 is dependant on setting 1. If you want to just get charging from the genset, then have setting 1 on Uti, then setting 12 at the max which I believe is 51.0V. This will have the unit begin charging the battery at 51.0V and not the default 45.0V.

Set #13 to your desired voltage you want for your battery highest voltage. I prefer somewhere around the 56.0 to 57.0V area depending on how my cells in my DIY batteries remain balanced. Your results will vary. I monitor the cells looking for a runner near the full charge area and use a setting just below that to keep that cell below 3.65V.

I emailed Peggy. I'm sure she will come to the rescue.

Winter snow storms are making it imperative I get the generator charging. Upon further investigation on a cloudy day with only 300w solar the generator is surging power to probably match the draw on the charger, but like a solar charger controller the 6548 is probably adjusting its power input or draw and thus the conversion to battery power based on what is available from panels and or the generator. so the two seem to be struggling to have a steady supply / demand balance.

Most generators don't just run at 100% power so I'm sure a setting is just wrong in the LV.

Needed settings:
My goal is to charge via the generator below 52v which is 20% SOC and go until it hits 55.5v and just runs out of gas after 10 hrs. By then I will be off work or awake.

My generator is a remote start 30 amp 3800 watt 4750 peak - so it shouldn't be a problem to do 20a or 10 amp charging. The generator charges our RV fine using the charge wizard charger or the old oem RV charger.

Generator = https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cab...-watt-generator-with-remote-start-by-champion

Last edited:
That is f'ed up. I looked thru the manual and at your photo and you only have the one AC input. You have that hooked up correctly.

Charging source should be solar and utility. Setting 16, you can use CSO, CUE, or SNU. Either one should allow battery charging as long as PV is not available. This is just to see if charging occurs. You will probably want CSO to charge off solar first, then utility once you get things working. One thing with setting 16, it states at the bottom:
"If this inverter/charger is working in Battery mode, only solar energy can charge battery. Solar energy will charge battery if it's available and sufficient."

Also, look at the battery charging settings. Setting 12 is dependant on setting 1. If you want to just get charging from the genset, then have setting 1 on Uti, then setting 12 at the max which I believe is 51.0V. This will have the unit begin charging the battery at 51.0V and not the default 45.0V.

Set #13 to your desired voltage you want for your battery highest voltage. I prefer somewhere around the 56.0 to 57.0V area depending on how my cells in my DIY batteries remain balanced. Your results will vary. I monitor the cells looking for a runner near the full charge area and use a setting just below that to keep that cell below 3.65V.

I need to see what setting 1 is. I'm adjusting via their phone app which are menus that are not numbered.

I have similar settings to your other suggestions as well

Update:

As per the note pictures below.

It seems as though you can only use an inverter generator, like a suitcase generator.

I wonder if I could power a charger with my normal generator to get a cleaner signal. But then that defeats the purpose of the LV 6548. Can I power something that makes 120v?

I dont think any of the inverter generators have auto start. I believe Honda Yamaha champion and Harbor freight are just 2000 to 3000 watts. So how do you charge at 1500w to 2000w and have enough power for loads with he smaller inverter generators?

For anything over 3000w its $1000+ with electric start. Sucks!

I assume UPS is inverter powered off the battery vs appliance is direct to the loads and no battery. If so then 180v is the lowest for battery charging... So I guess I can't charge my batteries with this inverter unless its setup up parallel as 240v

If so that really sucks!!! It was not in the manual and was only in a seperate download pdf

If this is the case then I need a 48v programable charger so I can set lifepo settings. Any suggestions?
Screenshot_20211228-230455.png

Last edited:
Something doesn't make sense because the manual showed 2 Line inputs, 120V AC input but your unit is only a single line input. I'd ask Peggy about this and determine why.

You can't input 240V simply because you only have 1 Line input. Either that or you were sold a Euro model.

Your manual is for a UK etc inverter, certainly not a USA model. Also you are confusing me by talking about a 6548 and 6048. What do you have and snap a picture of the specification label for us.

Reactions: Zwy
My bad its the 6548

Turns out an obscure pdf only on their website details the generator specs.

The gen has to be an inverter generator of similar wattage as the inverter. It has to be clean power or the 6548 will reject the source. If you want an auto start inverter genny then that is a minimum $1000+ just to charge the batteries on a cloudy week. So I ordered an AIMS 48v lifepo charger and got a recoil start inverter generator today until that arrives. I have 28kwa so I will know a day or two ahead if I need to start the generator for charging.

I can also just set the inverter relay to start my normal genny and just hook the gen up to the aims charger and it will shut off when the gas runs out.

Its too bad a regular champion or Honda auto start gen won't work.

Last edited:
You have the wrong manual, that explains plenty. Here is the manual you need. http://www.mppsolar.com/manual/SPLIT PHASE LV/LV6548 split phase manual-20210416.pdf

Are you sure your generator circuit doesn't have voltage drop that is excessive? Measure the ac input volts at the LV6548 from the generator and if the LV6548 screen in on, read the input voltage it shows. The suggested AC input wire size is 4 AWG according to the manual. 12 AWG will cause excessive voltage drop from the genny. If voltage is under 100V AC, then the unit will shut down.

Back