diy solar

diy solar

Help with Off Grid Setup - AC300 and Generator

Cpjlincoln21

I am new to solar. I just ordered (not in hand) the AC300 with 2 of the B300 batteries. We have an off grid cabin that we run via generator most of the time and I want to be able to connect both the AC300 and Generator to the electrical that is already ran throughout the cabin just in case I need to charge the B300 batteries in a case where we go a while with no sun. I have 12 of the Rich Solar 200w panels to take advantage of the 2400w of solar charging. Is there a way to do this with an automatic transfer switch for a manual transfer switch of some kind? I've been trying to read the forums and figure something out but I haven't quite seen what I'm looking for yet. ! The draw I have 90% of the time is pretty low but I am looking into a Mr Cool mini split AC and heater because currently I have a portable air conditioner unit that I run for an hour or two at night in the hot summer to take the heat out of the loft. Thanks in advance

The easiest solution is to plug a battery charger into the generator and charge the batteries when needed.

The easiest solution is to plug a battery charger into the generator and charge the batteries when needed.
I was hoping if I needed to run the Air conditioner for a longer stint, that I could rely on the generator power. But my overall goal is to not rely on it. Which I guess it means more than 2 batteries at some point. Thanks!

You could install a transfer switch, and everything else involved. But, this would add cost and effort.

You could install a transfer switch, and everything else involved. But, this would add cost and effort.
Suggestions on which transfer switch? Is it an automatic or manual transfer switch that I would need? I'm not too worried about the cost because it's a one-time thing and hopefully it lasts a while.

If your generator isn't capable of remote start. There's no point in spending the money on an automatic transfer switch.

Back