diy solar

diy solar

Help with off grid system for hifi

Martin-Andersen

Hi Solar geeks! This is a little different. I want to build an off grid system but without the solar part :)

For some of you this might sound crazy. But a hifi system sounds better running on batteries, that's the best. The next best thing is to run it with AC created from batteries and that’s what I want to do.

So I need a charger, batteries and a converter. But there are so many options so I need help with choosing the right components for the task.

I lent a Goal Zero Yeti 3000 and when I was playing my hifi system was using:
  • 277 Watts
  • 23 Amps

I would like to be able to play for at least 2 hours and as I understand it, the battery should not be drained more than 60% so there are 40% left.

I want the pure sin converter to have very low THD. Voltages and frequency should also be very accurate.

I should be able to move the system and it should run on 230v 50Hz and be VERY quiet.
I am not going to move it around. But I should be able to take it with me, so all in one box.

Questions:
  • 12 or 24V?
  • Can a battery charger be programmed to start charging at ie. 40%?
  • How often do I need to Top/Bottom balance? If I never discharge below 40%
Charger? I haven't found one

Was thinking about using this cells:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...99107d1c009f81b1-1586697671423-06460-pixtzdnE

This BMS:

Pure Sine Wave Converter
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33000537707.html

I know this is a lot to ask. If you have any tips or ideas for this system, please let me know.

Last edited:
Well it’s not so crazy as I have been doing just that for an off grid amateur radio station for years. My needs are more power intensive as I receive and transmit. Sometimes using a 500w amplifier that consumes about 1 Kw when transmitting.

I simply used an ebay 48v 20 Ah scooter battery and a 3Kw reliable inverter. You could get by with the 1500w version. The scooter LiFePO4 batteries generally come with a charger. So I just charged up from the grid at home before I went in the field.

After years of this I added solar charging.

I will find some ebay links and add them for you below.

See here:

And here:

IF you proceed this way be certain to add a proper fuse/breaker and a precharge capacitor.

There are threads on the forum which explain each of these topics.

I understand your desire, but using solar COMPLETELY keeps everything DC. Chargers produce DC in pulses... so when charging, you are getting noise... keeping it solar charged really makes the entire setup
I don’t know of a way to automate the charger, maybe feed into a charge controller with parameters set for when to allow watts in below 40%...?

I understand your desire, but using solar COMPLETELY keeps everything DC. Chargers produce DC in pulses... so when charging, you are getting noise... keeping it solar charged really makes the entire setup
I don’t know of a way to automate the charger, maybe feed into a charge controller with parameters set for when to allow watts in below 40%...?

I live in Denmark and in a flat, so not much sun and no place to put the solar panels :)

Well it’s not so crazy as I have been doing just that for an off grid amateur radio station for years. My needs are more power intensive as I receive and transmit. Sometimes using a 500w amplifier that consumes about 1 Kw when transmitting.

I simply used an ebay 48v 20 Ah scooter battery and a 3Kw reliable inverter. You could get by with the 1500w version. The scooter LiFePO4 batteries generally come with a charger. So I just charged up from the grid at home before I went in the field.

After years of this I added solar charging.

I will find some ebay links and add them for you below.
That's a brilliant idea :) Can you help me calculate for how long I can play on my system before a recharge?

Well 48v times 20 amp hours is 960 watt hours.

IF you had zero losses AND could use 100% DOD (both not possible) you would have 3.47 hours of play time right?

Me? I would give it a try and just add a second battery if needed.

Remember, this is all free advice and worth at least twice that.

YMMV, proceed at your own risk, normal disclaimers apply ?

Back