diy solar

diy solar

Help with Pvc to emt transition for DC PV wires entering dwelling

Maitake

Solar Enthusiast
Hi All,
I have 400' of 2" PVC in the trench to go from the array to the inverter in the walkout basement.
Metal raceway is required inside the dwelling. How do I make this transition?
Was thinking a PVC LB, but can't see how to transition to EMT out the rear.

Would like to transition to 3/4" EMT out the back of the LB.

Yes the 2" is way overkill but I had 300' laying around from an old project.

Any code compliant help would be appreciated.

Easiest way I can think of is to put a Male Adapter on the PVC pipe and use a rigid LB with threads. Then you get a Male Adapter for whatever size EMT you wish to use. If its 2" the MA threads straight in to the LB, if you want to reduce the EMT to say 1-1/2" then you just need a threaded bushing to go inside the threaded LB.

Good ideas thank you both.
I was moving away from an aluminum LB because its not for use with EMT in a corrosive environment, but inside the wall is not a corrosive environment, so it should be OK.

Code seems like metal is required from the outside surface of the dwelling for dc pv wires entering the dwelling. Makes me nervous about getting failed for 3" of PVC fittings in the wall.

I'll sleep on it, should be clear in the morning :)

Code seems like metal is required from the outside surface of the dwelling for dc pv wires entering the dwelling. Makes me nervous about getting failed for 3" of PVC fittings in the wall.

:)
Depends on your inspector but best practice would be to make the PVC-Metalic transition underground on the vertical section coming up the wall. It this case, I would use still use the 3" male adapter and then a threaded rigid coupler then rigid conduit up the side of the wall to the LB. The transition from 2" to 3/4" could be made with a threaded bushing inside the rigid coupler below ground or at the LB. Kind of depends on the size of the wires and if you intend to make any bulky connections that have to fit inside the cover of the LB.
When making the transition from PVC to rigid I always like to use a Male adapter and a rigid coupler because the male PVC adapter will be inside metal and cannot split as would be possible if you use a female PVC adapter and threaded a rigid pipe directly in to it.

A pvc C looks like a LB with no outlet. Then drill a 3/4 knock out where you want. Then use a knock out hub then EMT fitting. You will need to get them from a electrical supply house. Big box stores only have common DIY items.

Is it is deep enough (24 or 36" trench) with required bend to the vertical location?

Hi All,
I have 400' of 2" PVC in the trench to go from the array to the inverter in the walkout basement.
Metal raceway is required inside the dwelling. How do I make this transition?
Was thinking a PVC LB, but can't see how to transition to EMT out the rear.

Would like to transition to 3/4" EMT out the back of the LB.

Yes the 2" is way overkill but I had 300' laying around from an old project.

Any code compliant help would be appreciated.
Can I ask what configuration is your array and what type size cable are you using? thanks

Can I ask what configuration is your array and what type size cable are you using? thanks
3 strings of 10 panels to 3 grid tie inverters.
The other 2 panels will eventually feed an mppt charger to charge the batteries directly.
10awg thwn from each string to the inverter.

Back