diy solar

diy solar

Help with setup

Gladiatoroverland

Camper Alu-Cab Canopy Camper on a Jeep Gladiator Diesel 2022.

Equipment:

RedArc Manager 30 / Redvision Sytem
Battle Born Energy 2-100ah lifepo4 batteries
Overland Solar 2-130watt ETFE Semi Flexible Panels
Portable RedArc Solar Blanket 150watts
Inverter controlled through RedArc remotely - Cotek SP-1000

Inputs Alternator, main solar 260watts mounted on camper aluminum roof, 1 RedArc panel separate for special power needs or issues with two panels. 1 is none etc.
would also like to run a 110v through RedArc system and a noco charger for the cab battery bank as well. Have separate Solar controller up front with 65watt panel cascadia solar. But can add a RedArc bcdc25 if needed. (Right now only using stock battery up front with 65watt panel, will be moving to 2 - agn batteries in future- removing start stop battery and isolating secondary to help tie in for winching when needed). Was just thinking using noco charger upfront to keep everything charged when parked in a garage or covered.I’d go through the rear with a NOCO 110 input that branches running one to the RedArc system and one to the noco charger under the hood for regular cab batteries.

Equipment run:

Camper lights 12v x6
2 Goose neck Lights
2 12v usb chargers
1- small 12v computer fan for Dickenson p9000 propane heater
12v scirocco fan on same circuit
Adding 12v light out on back
Adding capability to control GMRS Midland Radio through camper with extra mic and switched power
Adding some extra USB/USBC/12v plugs in panel
Remote mounting the invertor
Running Dometic CFx95Dz 12v Fridge

At max will be charging Razer Blade 14 laptop preferences Mainly through usb-c charger or if needed through the inverter

2- tablets iPad Pro for spouse and our main Samsung S7 for mainly everything on vehicle and more

Camera Gear and drone chargers
Possible 12v crock pot or 12v blanket at max use
2 cellphones and 2 portable gmrs radios
12v chainsaw battery and 12 Milwaukee batteries.
12v water pump for fill and hot water shower (Note: shower heater is propane). We have a built in water tank that has 50l of water storage.

Everything else is run through the vehicle battery bank that has its own Solar.

Need assistance with wiring sizes, fuse sizes, and a basic layout. I’m pretty confident in wiring as I was a 12v installer a long time again before I had a TBI from military service. Just forgot things like asking above and want done right.

Originally was thinking of wiring for a max load of 60amps. The redvision has 5-10amp circuits and 5-30amp circuits built in. Or as shown can wire up for max load of 200amps That said I want to keep costs down. Only thing that could be added in the future is possibles of charging two 12v mountain bikes to explore from base camp. Thanks for the help ahead of time. Camper pictured can do some of the inside since I don’t have cabinets inside.

Last edited:
Wire size is based on amps, volts and distance. Use a wire size calculator that allows you to input all three. Below is a link to the calculator that I use the most. Note that the distance is round trip, not one way.

Fuses and circuit breakers protect the wires. The general recommendation is to size them at 1.25 times the number of expected amps. Don't skimp on over current protect. Buy good quality equipment. Some of the cheap stuff won't trip when it should.

A Class T fuse is recommended immediately downstream of the battery and before a cutoff switch. After that, use MEGA or MRBF fuses or circuit breakers as needed.

Wire size is based on amps, volts and distance. Use a wire size calculator that allows you to input all three. Below is a link to the calculator that I use the most. Note that the distance is round trip, not one way.

Fuses and circuit breakers protect the wires. The general recommendation is to size them at 1.25 times the number of expected amps. Don't skimp on over current protect. Buy good quality equipment. Some of the cheap stuff won't trip when it should.

A Class T fuse is recommended immediately downstream of the battery and before a cutoff switch. After that, use MEGA or MRBF fuses or circuit breakers as needed.

Yes thank you was aware of the different guides out there to help pick 12v wiring size based on amps and length of wire. That wasn’t my issue. Though I did solve a good bit of that just by reading through the RedArc manuals.

They do have recommended wiring size for the Redvision as well. Looks like 6awg will work for aux battery to Redvision and Ground. Secondly the out puts in the Redvision a re limited to 5-10Amp and 5-30Amp switched. I will adjust wiring to load. Or could just wire at 10awg for 10Amp and 8awg for 30Amps.

My main concerns where a. Fuse sizes based on I out. But reading more into the system is limited to draw 50amp from the alternator and limited to 30Amp output. They recommend 60amp fuses and 6awg wiring.

I did find some basic wiring diagrams in their manual that helps immensely. See attached. I just need to add a battery cutoff switch, changing some fuses to breakers, and add secondary lithium battery. Also will need to fuse the inverter, being 1000watt either 150-175amp should work here. Any suggestions about anything I am missing. Will have to add a relay switch for an air compressor as the max draw exceeds 30Amps. Other than this just want to ensure I’m covered when figuring out parts and basic layout of equipment. Overall the system negates a lot of wiring and simplifies a lot of things. Only downfalls I see are limited output, as would like to see two extra high amp outputs. See attached for diagram.

Attachments

• E231BA85-5E18-4905-9D73-B98717C63134.png
    E231BA85-5E18-4905-9D73-B98717C63134.png
    188.2 KB · Views: 3
Back