diy solar

diy solar

Help with this battery

Lessismore

IMG_0262.JPG
I purchased this battery on Ebay for my trolling motor, however I would like to charge it with a solar panel. It came with a 12.6v 10a charger. The battery is suppose to be Li-Ion 60ah battery with BMS. When fully charged the battery reads 12.05v. I would like to use a Genasun GV-10-li-12.5v ( https://sunforgellc.com/gv-10/ ).

Having limited experience using lithium batteries I would like to know if this is a suitable charge controller. Is there a chance of overcharging the battery causing an unsafe condition? I plan to use a120w panel. Hopefully someone has experience with one of these battery packs and knows how to safely charge it with a panel.

If the lithium ion battery doesn't have voltage specifications listed on it, use the brand and model number and try to search the internUt for the charging parameters. The solar charge controller that you will use between the panel and battery needs to be able to be configured to s lithium ion charging profile.

This is a no-name battery pack from Ebay. There were no specifications that came with the battery. The pack is well sealed and I would rather not destroy the packaging to get at the cells. It came only with a charger that seems to work okay, which had the volt/amp of the charger on the label. The model of Genasun charge controller I listed is a dedicated lithium 12.5v controller.

Thanks for the responses. When I started this post I was hoping possibly someone had one of these batteries and knew the specs. If you don't want to read this entire response here is the short version. DON'T BUY THIS BATTERY.

This battery is still being sold on Ebay as a trolling motor battery (which is why I initially bought it). The seller is unresponsive so I was unable to get any specs from him. This appears to be a Li-Ion battery pack however it is unregulated. I did finally get it to charge to 12.5v. I put a 22a load on it and at 88% charge (according to its meter) the voltage was <12.0 v. I continued to discharge it and at 63% it was at 11.1v at which time the inverter I had shutdown and had been sounding and under-voltage alarm for a few minutes. When I first tested the battery which had been sitting for quite some time it showed 90% charge @ 12.05v. After charging it was still at 12.1v. I could not get it to charge to 12.5v until I had discharged it down to 63%.

You may get full capacity with a trolling motor as long as the speed controller continues to work. I have yet to test that. As far as being useful for electronic appliances it is not. It cannot maintain >12v for more than 10% of its capacity. I'm just guessing it has a shutoff voltage of around 10.5v. I have not yet tested that as I need a load that will still run at that voltage. It uses a 2 prong electrical connector so you'd have to make your own cable to mate to the charger controller.

The Genasun charge controller I mentioned in my original post is high quality and very RFI quiet. I think I'll look for a cheaper option and hopefully this battery will be sufficient for a trolling motor.

I have a lot of experience with off-grid solar but have only used AGM batteries. I'm a newbie using lithium. I appreciate the responses.

Last edited:
Back