diy solar

diy solar

Help with Victron Orion 24/12 converter please?

JaseyB

Guys can I ask for help with the Victron 24V to 12V DC converter?

My wiring diagram I'll include but I just need confirmation about the wiring and fuse for my Victron Energy Orion IP20 24/12-Volt 70 amp DC-DC Converter Non-isolated.

I see from the description that this is a 70A unit but is that for 12V? Does this mean I need a 40A fuse at 24V?

Also what size wiring would be recommended for this for this as it leads directly to the 12V fuse box?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would also welcome any comments on the wiring diagram attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• wiring diagram.PNG
    wiring diagram.PNG
    272.6 KB · Views: 89
At the full 70 amp output at 12v the input current at 24v will be around 40 amps with conversion efficiency, Suggest fuse input at 50 amps with 10mm2 cable, output fused at 80 amps with 16mm2 to fuse box.

The 3000 watt inverter at 24 volts at full power will take around 140 amps, 150 amp fuse is a little borderline, suggest 175 amps.
There are quite a lot of connetions, 3 fuses and a switch in the inverter positive feed. Experience suggests a small volt drop will occur at each point, in addition to cable volt drops, with the inverter at maximum power.
In particular some of the low cost isolator switches may have a significant drop at high current . When commissioning the system check for volt drops, and if necessary reconfigure the Inverter positive feed.

Mike

Back