diy solar

diy solar

Heltec (JK) 200A Smart BMS with 2A Active Balance

OK,, I loaded the app, but the version in the BMS stays the same,, I don't see how to update the BMS..
And the app still won't let me change the Name..
And my settings did still remain... so that part is safe now...

Ok, strange. I had no problem setting the name. I'll check over the weekend if I missed something...

It's got me baffled too,, I wonder if i can contact Heltec support ? I'll try

Also,, do the actual BMS's ever need updates ? and if so.. how does that get done ?

It's got me baffled too,, I wonder if i can contact Heltec support ? I'll try

Also,, do the actual BMS's ever need updates ? and if so.. how does that get done ?
So I have a Heltec 200 amp by 2amp active BMS designation JK-B2A24S20P with firmware version 4.2.5

I am using thr ENJPOWER app version 3 for monitoring, and changing the BMS name is simple by using the pen icon after a bluetooth scan for the device.
The ENJPOWER app works perfect. I was never able to get the xioxaing app working on my Samsung phone.

So I have a Heltec 200 amp by 2amp active BMS designation JK-B2A24S20P with firmware version 4.2.5

I am using thr ENJPOWER app version 3 for monitoring, and changing the BMS name is simple by using the pen icon after a bluetooth scan for the device.
The ENJPOWER app works perfect. I was never able to get the xioxaing app working on my Samsung phone.
The app was not from the app store. I downloaded it from I believe the Heltec link from the QR code on the device.

The app was not from the app store. I downloaded it from I believe the Heltec link from the QR code on the device.
gotchya...I am using the samsung tablet.
So where did you get the app you're using ?

Also... I have tweaked my settings a little.. bottom voltage 3v, and top voltage is set to 4v.
But i do not quite understand what my Trigger voltage for the Balance should be set to... right now it is set to 0.005v
What should that be set to ? the manual says to set to 0.005v for batteries over 50Ah..

well, SH*T
I did down load the 3.6.3v and still the same thing..
I don't know what's going on... But at least it's updated..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210916-191550.jpg
    Screenshot_20210916-191550.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 8
The balance trigger voltage is how far out of balance you will allow the cells to get before it tries to balance them. And it is also the voltage at which it stops trying to balance them. So the lower you set it, the more the balancer will work to try and get all of the cells that close together.

On my battery bank, I ended up raising the balance trigger up to 0.008 volts because it was false triggering and trying to balance due to a tiny voltage drop across a cable in my battery bank. My cells are mostly connected by very short and wide buss bars, with the balance leads in the middle of each buss bar. The balance of all the cell using the factory buss bars is near perfect, always within 0.003 volts no matter how much current is flowing in or out of the cells. But then I have a short #2 awg cable jumping from Cell 10+ to cell 11-. When the system is charging, this cable has a little voltage drop which shows up as a slightly higher cell voltage. And when the inverter is drawing high current, the voltage drop make those same cells look like a slightly lower voltage. The 0.002 volt change was enough that it was triggering the balancer to try and "fix" the voltage difference. The problem is that the cells are actually perfectly balanced. The balancer was falsely trying to pull those 2 cells down while charging, and then trying to push them back up while inverting. I proved the reading difference was just the cable compared to the buss bar, by measuring the cell voltages at the tabs, and the cells were still dead on, within 0.002 volts under all conditions. I did try paralleling a second cable, and it helped, but did not eliminate the issue. But by making the balance threshold 0.008 volts, the balancer basically just never comes on.

As for the over and under voltage trigger levels, make sure you leave a bit of room from your charger and inverter shut down voltages. If all of my cells are perfectly balanced, my current full charge voltage of 4.05 volts per cell (56.7 volts for the whole 14S pack) is well short of the OVP voltage of 4.2 I set in the JK-BMS. With 14 cells, if only one cells is shooting high, it hits 4.2 volts early, the other 13 cells could be at 4.03846 volts. So the other cells end up just 0.0115 under my target volts. 11.5 millivolts is not a lot of difference to give the balancer time to work before the BMS has to shut things down. The closer you set the BMS shut off to the charger absorb volts, the more likely you are to have a single cell kicking you into protect. At first, I was a bit concerned about the new Daly BMS units having a single cell OV protect voltage way up at 4.25 volts, but the more I thought about it, it makes some sense. While it is not good to keep a cell up that high, the balancer will be running full time trying to pull that cell down. I have it set to 4.2 in my JK-BMS, which seems fine since my charger stops at just 4.05 now.

I think i got the BMS tweaked, I think the SCC needs some changes.

Attachments

• 20210916_192830.jpg
    20210916_192830.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210916_192851.jpg
    20210916_192851.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 22
gotchya...I am using the samsung tablet.
So where did you get the app you're using ?

Also... I have tweaked my settings a little.. bottom voltage 3v, and top voltage is set to 4v.
But i do not quite understand what my Trigger voltage for the Balance should be set to... right now it is set to 0.005v
What should that be set to ? the manual says to set to 0.005v for batteries over 50Ah..
Mine defaults to .01v.

Mine defaults to .01v.
I found a link to the app here.

well, SH*T
I did down load the 3.6.3v and still the same thing..
I don't know what's going on... But at least it's updated..
Only difference between mine and yours looks to be - I have later hardware/firmware.

Mine...
Hardware Ver 6.X
Software Ver 6.1.0S
Manuf 2021-01-07

Most likely the firmware is the issue here.

I found a link to the app here.
this was the link i tried the otherday.. their email wasn't working.. I'll try again tomorrow..

Only difference between mine and yours looks to be - I have later hardware/firmware.

Mine...
Hardware Ver 6.X
Software Ver 6.1.0S
Manuf 2021-01-07

Most likely the firmware is the issue here.
Gotta figure out how to update the firmware I guess...
Right now it's a little annoying to pick which one i'm picking.
just have to select one, then watch which one responds..

I can change the name without issue on version 3.6.3
I've put it on Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XYuPVWoTgOkxcH1NLFq6LONu5HFII0VD/view?usp=sharing
Well, i noticed a few bugs in this App..
My calibrating current , it's defaulted to 0.100A. And you cannot change it to anything else.
And SCP Dly = 1500.000 ( should just be 1500ms )
Another thing I learned, I thought before when you change a setting, then click OK, After you did all your setting, then you click the Li-ion Paper airplane to send it all to the BMS, I guess i was wrong, because i noticed that it re-applies all the defaults.. Grrrr.
Anyway, I am going to reinstall the other App I had before.
I also tried again to contact JKBMS, and their email system still is not working...Grrrr

Well, i noticed a few bugs in this App..
My calibrating current , it's defaulted to 0.100A. And you cannot change it to anything else.
And SCP Dly = 1500.000 ( should just be 1500ms )
Another thing I learned, I thought before when you change a setting, then click OK, After you did all your setting, then you click the Li-ion Paper airplane to send it all to the BMS, I guess i was wrong, because i noticed that it re-applies all the defaults.. Grrrr.
Anyway, I am going to reinstall the other App I had before.
I also tried again to contact JKBMS, and their email system still is not working...Grrrr
Only the 200amp version does 2 amps of calibrating current. What model are you using?

The JK-BMS instructions are useless. The The Li-Ion, LTO, and LiFePO4 buttons do set all of the basic parameters to the defaults. Each setting then has it's own ok or paper plane to send the new setting. My calibrating voltage defaults to the current battery voltage reading, but the calibrating current defaults to 100 amps. I think it would default to the current reading, but when the XW-Pro is pushing or pulling current, it has a lot of 120 Hz ripple so the current reading jumps around a bit, so I think it does not try to load that unstable value. In you case, it is probably loading the no load value. You should connect a known steady DC load, then measure that current and see if you can enter it. At no load, just 0.001 amps, it can't calibrate, so it has you locked out. The higher the calibration current, the more accurate it will be able to calibrate. I managed to get mine to a stable 50 amps to calibrate it.

I have not tried changing the protection time delays. SCP is Short Circuit Protection. 1,500 ms seems ok, that is 1.5 seconds. That should be long enough to start a heavy load, or charge up a capacitor without having a false trip, but quick enough to keep from damaging anything from a 400 amp spike. Ideally, it would be nice to have it shut down quicker than your main fuse blows. I use a Class T fuse in my original battery bank, and they are pretty expensive. My new bank has a pair of Type CNN fuses. They are still not cheap, but they seem like a better fit for what we are doing. They are rated at 80 volts DC. They are intended for protecting the systems on an electric fork lift.

Back