diy solar

diy solar

Heltec (JK) 200A Smart BMS with 2A Active Balance

Based on the specs from the original link, it looks like your BMS has both CAN and RS485 communication ports. Have you tinkered with those at all?

Based on the specs from the original link, it looks like your BMS has both CAN and RS485 communication ports. Have you tinkered with those at all?
You have to pay extra for those capabilities. I have not done anything with CAN or RS485.
I think there are people here who have though.

Interesting. I was considering purchasing one of the Heltec/JK 2A active balancers (ebay) for my 16s pack. The plan would be to send the voltage data to a microcontroller through the RS485 port, and then have the MCU perform all the protection functions via external relays. Maybe my assumption that these devices come 'pre-loaded' with a RS485 communication protocol is incorrect. I've emailed a couple of the vendors to see if they will provide the comms protocol with the balancer. We'll see what they say.

I've attached the protocol to this post.
As far as I know they come with the capability built in, you just need an adapter to USB or whatever you want to hook it up to.
OUTSTANDING!!! I imagine it will take days, if not weeks, for those vendors to get back to me on this, so you just cut a bit chunk of time out of my decision making process.

Thanks!

I have the JK BMS (2a active balancer model) and I would like to be able to monitor the BMS remotely, I can see no way of configuring alarms and having them emailed/pushed? While I wait for an answer from JK, I was going to leave a phone in my solar cabinet to run the app and remote in to it, but the app only seems to run on my S10 and not my spare S7 edge (Android 8).

My 2 questions;

- Has anyone had success running it on older hardware? I tried Bluestacks 4 and 5 also without success.
- Is there a way to configure alarms to be emailed/pushed in any way?

I'm quite happy with the BMS otherwise.

Cheers

If you see check my post a few posts up, you can see the BMS has an RS-485 option and the protocol is available. I'm working on integrating it with Grafana, but you could use it to implement anything you want. Grafana also allows email alerts etc. A plus point is that you don't have to rely on a (sometimes flaky) Bluetooth connection.

If you see check my post a few posts up, you can see the BMS has an RS-485 option and the protocol is available. I'm working on integrating it with Grafana, but you could use it to implement anything you want. Grafana also allows email alerts etc. A plus point is that you don't have to rely on a (sometimes flaky) Bluetooth connection.
Am I understanding it correctly, I must disassemble the case to access the port? I do not have any more external ports visible, the temp probes take up the last slot.

Attachments

• Heltec Intelligent protection board for lithium battery(1).pdf
    896.6 KB · Views: 58
Should be the same. Check it out when you have time.
Mine looks like this. There are two ports below the sensor connections. This is a Heltec 200 amp with 2 amp active balance.

Attachments

• 20210316_232601.jpg
    20210316_232601.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210316_232543.jpg
    20210316_232543.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 100
Yep that looks like mine, so I'd say I'll have the ports too.

Can we buy the 485 cable or do we need to make one up?

Is the work above using Grafana the only work being done on working with RS485 on this BMS?

Watch Power (MPP Inverters) has a desktop and a phone App for example.

Yep that looks like mine, so I'd say I'll have the ports too.

Can we buy the 485 cable or do we need to make one up?

Is the work above using Grafana the only work being done on working with RS485 on this BMS?

Watch Power (MPP Inverters) has a desktop and a phone App for example.
There are RS485 to USB cables available on Amazon if your looking to use a PC.
There is also another guy writing some cool stuff for the MPP 5048 line, but its buried in my youtube history somewhere. You might just want to peruse GITHUB.com, as thats where folks upoad their open source code.

Back