diy solar

diy solar

Heltec (JK) 200A Smart BMS with 2A Active Balance

Can we buy the 485 cable or do we need to make one up?

You can get it here:

You also need something like this:

Hi,

I bought this Heltec JK 200A BMS with 2A active balance. Today I tested it.

It is a 16S configuration with EVE 280Ah LiFePO4 cells.
All the balance line's Volt's tested 3 times before connecting them to the BMS.
B- connected, lines connected. Nothing happened.
Tried with a test lamp. On the BMS B- side it works, on the the BMS P- side nothing.
On the B- side 52,8V on the P- side 50,2V.
The little red led lamp on the BMS is not lit.

The QR code on BMS points to a 31MB zip file : heltec-bms-2.6.0.build30.apk_.1.1 . This zip file is corrupt, can not be extracted.
Tried with the other program heltec_bms_enjpower-3.0.0.zip.
It starts, scans for Bluetooth device (it is enabled on the phone) ... and nothing.

Any idea what could be a problem ?

Hi,

Tried with a test lamp. On the BMS B- side it works, on the the BMS P- side nothing.

The QR code on BMS points to a 31MB zip file : heltec-bms-2.6.0.build30.apk_.1.1 . This zip file is corrupt, can not be extracted.
It starts, scans for Bluetooth device (it is enabled on the phone) ... and nothing.

Sometimes these need a wake-up call. Try a quick short between B- and P-, then try unplugging & reconnecting the balance connector.

To start the BMS, you need to apply a voltage 5V over the battery voltage - so something like 57V or so from the + of the battery to P-.

The QR code should just point to the APK for an Android phone and should just install.

The inverter not jet arrived. I just want to test the BMS.
The cell's top balance is not done yet ... also after inverter arrives :)

This won't do - you need to connect a charge controller/charger or some other voltage 5V over the battery voltage from the + of the battery to the P-.

Also, this zip works fine for example:

Yes, this is the zip (32MB). But it is corrupt. 7zip can not extract it. Total Commander shows inside a file a folder and this folder the file again.
I could extract it from the folder (16MB).

The led in the front of the BMS should be lit or blinking ?

So it will not start without a charger?
But cells are now in 3,302V and I will set the inverter to charge only to 16 x 3,4V = 54,4V
(will use it az UPS with a double conversation inverter : 5048MK)

It's not corrupt, I can download and open it just fine. Try it again, different browser maybe.

The LED won't blink until you turn on the BMS with a voltage over the battery voltage.

You will probably have to go over 54.4 for a second. Once it's on, it stays on until you disconnect it.

It's not corrupt, I can download and open it just fine. Try it again, different browser maybe.

The LED won't blink until you turn on the BMS with a voltage over the battery voltage.

You will probably have to go over 54.4 for a second. Once it's on, it stays on until you disconnect it.

Is the file 32MB that you download ?
If you extract it it is 32MB or 16MB ?
Downloaded 4 times with different browsers. All 32MB.

I am thinking how could I give 54+V to BMS. 4 lead 12V battery in series ?

Hi,

I had the same problem with the zip file. Try to unzip on a PC, and then send the unzipped files to your phone.

Thanks, APK is running now :)

Tomorrow I will test to start BMS with s4 lead battery

The led will blink or something if BMS is started ?

Last edited:
Yes, and beep.

Not sure your 4 lead acid batteries will enough though...

You could be right. Out of ideas.

Stupid design. Why it is not starting by default after balance leads connected ?

The main problem I see is when the inverter arrives I need a separate cable from the battery to the inverter to pre-charge the capacitors.
And even then I have to set the inverter fast into charging mode to start the BMS.
So if it is late night (no sun power) in a blackout (no utility power) then I can not start the BMS ?
That does not sound ideal :D

You could be right. Out of ideas.

Stupid design. Why it is not starting by default after balance leads connected ?

The main problem I see is when the inverter arrives I need a separate cable from the battery to the inverter to pre-charge the capacitors.
And even then I have to set the inverter fast into charging mode to start the BMS.
So if it is late night (no sun power) in a blackout (no utility power) then I can not start the BMS ?
That does not sound ideal :D
I remember @GXMnow saying you can use a bunch of little 9V batteries. I never tried it

OK, long road but getting there :)

19232-2c00965d454a693d4ea708b776e30fb3.jpg

I saw this pic and I think I slowly understand it.
I have a lab power supply I can use.
So I can set it to 5V, minus to C- (P-), plus to B-

What is the starting order? Like:
1) Balance leads needs to be connected
? Battery 48V main- to B- is connected ?
2) 5V- to C-, 5V+ to B-

So at this point (for a short time) B- is connected to the 48V battery main- AND 5V+ ? And the C- is only connected to 5V- ?
Or I need to serial connect it like B- to battery main- ; and battery main- to 5V+, 5V- to C- ?

Thx

Last edited:
Back