diy solar

diy solar

Heltec (JK) 200A Smart BMS with 2A Active Balance

Little info about JK BMS that I did not know before:

If you order the BMS with RS485 then they put in the RS485 part into the BMS too. It is not only an external module.
If with CAN then only that.

So if you ordered it with RS485 you can not order a CAN module for it too ... because the inside of the BMS is not the same.

It is not one singe BMS hardware that is sent to everyone.

If you order the BMS with RS485 then they put in the RS485 part into the BMS too. It is not only an external module.

RS485 is only an external module - the data over uart is there by default (and why you don't need that RS485 module, a normal UART (TTL) to USB converter is enough).

Pinout:
Code:
RS485-TTL plug on BMS (4 Pins, JST 1.25mm pinch)
┌─── ─────── ────┐
│                │
│ O   O   O   O  │
│GND  RX  TX VBAT│
└────────────────┘

CAN needs to be specified, yes.

The hardware is the same though, it's a software variation (afair).

Last edited:
RS485 is only an external module - the data over uart is there by default (and why you don't need that RS485 module, a normal UART to USB converter is enough).

Pinout:
Code:
RS485-TTL plug on BMS (4 Pins, JST 1.25mm pinch)
┌─── ─────── ────┐
│                │
│ O   O   O   O  │
│GND  RX  TX VBAT│
└────────────────┘

CAN needs to be specified, yes.

The hardware is the same though, it's a software variation (afair).

OK. So not a hw but a sw variant.
But AFAIK we can not flash it to change the sw. :)

Not yet. I know how to flash it, I can write a bootloader for it so one can update over Bluetooth/UART - I'm just waiting for them to release the source code which they said they would.
That's great, I guess we have a lot of hope for this BMS in the future.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, so sorry if I missed something, but what should we ask to include before ordering the BMS?

That's great, I guess we have a lot of hope for this BMS in the future.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, so sorry if I missed something, but what should we ask to include before ordering the BMS?

I've been running them for two years now: they stay out of the way, as they should and do as they are told. They tick all the boxes for me, even as they are now.

- If you want to log data, either include the RS485 converter, or make your own cable and do TTL to USB directly.
- If you want to have a power button/screen, you can get that. Or order the one with a screen interface and add a button yourself.
- There is a version with a Heater interface, but I don't have one so can't check if it does anything by default.

Otherwise, just get one that fits your needs, set the parameters, hook it up, and don't look at it anymore.

Anybody hear anything about when they will release the model for 12v 4S configuration?

I've been running them for two years now: they stay out of the way, as they should and do as they are told. They tick all the boxes for me, even as they are now.

- If you want to log data, either include the RS485 converter, or make your own cable and do TTL to USB directly.
- If you want to have a power button/screen, you can get that. Or order the one with a screen interface and add a button yourself.
- There is a version with a Heater interface, but I don't have one so can't check if it does anything by default.

Otherwise, just get one that fits your needs, set the parameters, hook it up, and don't look at it anymore.
Thanks for the quick reply. I completely agree it has to do its thing and stay out of the way.
btw, I started reading your blog yesterday after seeing it mentioned in Andy's video, really valuable stuff, I'm sure I'll have some questions for you in the future.

btw, I started reading your blog yesterday after seeing it mentioned in Andy's video, really valuable stuff, I'm sure I'll have some questions for you in the future.
When I was reading the blog, at first I wondered why @upnorthandpersonal hadn't posted about it here, at least that I could tell. Then I realized he probably knew he would get completely swamped with questions, comments, and complements! Awesome stuff!

When I was reading the blog, at first I wondered why @upnorthandpersonal hadn't posted about it here, at least that I could tell. Then I realized he probably knew he would get completely swamped with questions, comments, and complements! Awesome stuff!

Actually, I did post about it:

Actually, I did post about it:

Ah! I missed it. Anyway, it is very impressive what you have done and are doing!

Thanks mate, ordered ?
Hey mate, I've ordered another 16 eve 280ah cells and want to connect into my existing set up. Do I buy another Jkbms to monitor second bank or connect using 1 x BMS and batteries in parallel somehow?
Any help appreciated bro

Hey mate, I've ordered another 16 eve 280ah cells and want to connect into my existing set up. Do I buy another Jkbms to monitor second bank or connect using 1 x BMS and batteries in parallel somehow?
Any help appreciated bro
If you hooked them up in parallel with only the one BMS, I don't see how that single could balance each individual cell. To do it right, I think you'll need a separate BMS for each bank of 16 cells. Safer that way too.

If you hooked them up in parallel with only the one BMS, I don't see how that single could balance each individual cell. To do it right, I think you'll need a separate BMS for each bank of 16 cells. Safer that way too.
This is incorrect is it not? If it is correct I don't know how to wire it. I'm fixin to blow something up!

This is incorrect is it not? If it is correct I don't know how to wire it. I'm fixin to blow something up!
It is possible to connect sets of 2 or more cells in parallel then connect the sets in series. It is better not to do it that way because you can't monitor each cell unless you connect them separately to the BMS.

Good point, then to just connect the two banks in parallel after the BMS's on bus bar or at inverter

Back