diy solar

diy solar

Here at last!

Sold

Been wanting to do some solar builds and finally committed. I have 8 Eve LF 280ah cells on a slow boat from China to work with. I’m going to use them on my toy hauler RV that I’m building. Planning on 4ea 210 watt roof mount panels. I’m leaning toward 24v so I can use only 1 BMS. The panels are available in 12v or 24v for the same price. Another consideration is building a larger array on the house and utilizing some of the same components when I’m not traveling, which is most of the time. Not sure to what degree that is practical…At any rate I look forward to getting to know y’all. Thanks for all the hard work and time y’all have devoted to this site. It’s reassuring. Any suggestions on a BMS for that 8s 24v 6,800wh battery? And I haven’t purchased much else either, although I’ve researched some here and there. I’m a best bang for the buck guy, but will cry once if I have to lol.

Welcome.

With an MPPT controller, panel nominal voltage does not matter. With PWM, it does.

8 * 3.2 * 280Ah = 7,168Wh battery

The BMS question can only be answered with a question...

How many Amps?

Shed no tears. Ask first.

Usually you would get a bms to work with your inverter. For example a 100 amp bms would work for a 2400 watt inverter.

Thanks sunshine. It’s about 50 amps if we’re really busy I guess. Maybe more if hairdryer, vacuum, shower and microwave on a hot day! I can’t imagine pulling 100 amps ever. I’m not sure what contingencies to plan for Though

You should plan for the maximum load. Hairdryer, vacuum, microwave all use substantial current. A 1000W microwave uses about 1600W.

1600W/24V/0.85 = 78A

Run more than one of those , and you're toast. :)

Per @Sback, what size inverter to you plan to run?

Sorry Sunshine and Sback, I didn’t realize I didn’t answer back, duh. I actually ordered and received a 150a Daly w/ Bluetooth, then ordered another 8s 320ah from AliEx to add to the 8s 280ah I previously ordered. Now I’m concerned I didn’t go big enough with the 150a. I have decided on a GianDel 3000-6000 24v and would like to run a 2P8S so I don‘t have to buy another BMS, if possible. I have 8 165w panels for a 4s2p array in hand. My SCC will be an Epever 150/60. Obviously I’m building this by the seat of my pants and making decisions on the fly. I also have on hand red&black busbars, 10awg, 2awg, and 6awg wire, appropriate MC4 and other connectors, copper bar stock, and all misc specialty tools, but am lacking SCC, Inv, fuses, battery monitor, pwr supply/charger for balancing, and maybe what else? I’m not completely sure of fuse sizes but when I read the fuse download I must have been distracted because I’m still not sure. All suggestions, observations and critiques are gladly welcomed. Thanks again.

Back