diy solar

diy solar

Here's my plan to install a 230V Mini-Split

Just an FYI. I have installed a Pioneer 12k BTU 22SEER 120VAC Split unit in our 2007 Winnebago View 23J. Hung the outdoor unit on a strut frame at the upper left rear of the RV above the spare tire. The indoor wall unit is just inside on the rear wall above the bed. The 12K is just big enough to keep it cool enough to sleep at night when it is crazy hot (90F+), 9k would not have worked. Works just fine off-grid on the 3000W Xantrex inverter and 1680Ah (20kWh) LiFePO4 bank. After getting up to speed it generally draws 200W-400W when idling.
Sounds great!... How about some pictures of the Outside unit?
Did you go with the Cassette Inside unit (link below)?
Wow... 1680Ah LiFePO4!... Is that a typo? (I presume you built the battery bank?)
What's your Solar capacity? (How are you charging the battery bank?)

Sounds great!... How about some pictures of the Outside unit?
Did you go with the Cassette Inside unit (link below)?
Wow... 1680Ah LiFePO4!... Is that a typo? (I presume you built the battery bank?)
What's your Solar capacity? (How are you charging the battery bank?)

I used the wall mount indoor unit that comes with a standard split unit. I explored the cassette in the roof but the wall unit was the simpler option.
Yep, got a total of 24 - 280Ah LiFePO4 (12VDC system). Four banks in side compartment two more banks under the step inside. Have access to a rating of 960W of solar if all panels are deployed but the bulk of charging happens when driving (Renogy DC-DC Converter) or if we plug into shore power (upgraded the house charger for LiFePO4). We're usually good for at least 2 to 4 days with no charging or just minimal solar charging depending on the weather. Realistically, with only the PV panels that can fit on a 24ft RV it's difficult fully charging a bank this size.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 11
I used the wall mount indoor unit that comes with a standard split unit. I explored the cassette in the roof but the wall unit was the simpler option.
Yep, got a total of 24 - 280Ah LiFePO4 (12VDC system). Four banks in side compartment two more banks under the step inside. Have access to a rating of 960W of solar if all panels are deployed but the bulk of charging happens when driving (Renogy DC-DC Converter) or if we plug into shore power (upgraded the house charger for LiFePO4). We're usually good for at least 2 to 4 days with no charging or just minimal solar charging depending on the weather. Realistically, with only the PV panels that can fit on a 24ft RV it's difficult fully charging a bank this size.
The mount on that outside unit looks solid!… Thanks for sharing:
Just curious on the battery bank:
1) What’s the weight?
2) How many amps is your Alternator delivering to the bank?… Are you using second (dedicated) Alternator?
3) Putting aside the Mini-Split, what is your average daily Ah consumption?
4) Do you have a Generator? (I presume you do not, and probably used the weight savings to grow the battery bank?)

While off-grid, my strategy is to:
1) Have a large-enough battery bank to make it through the night (I’m budgeting 630Ah of LiFe PO4, at 12V)
2) Have enough Solar to recharge the batteries and cover consumption during the day (I’m budgeting 1700W, covering the roof with 4 * 425W LG panels)… And if/when the Sun does not cooperate, fall back to a (factory-installed) 3.2KW Diesel Generator.
Am I being naive?

Looking at 300lb of battery (13lb ea.). I believe it's a 150A alternator, have switch for the Renogy DC-DC converter to initially charge at 50%. For consumption, not sure exactly, the Thornwave power monitor measures the total of the input and output. 1600Ah will get us through 2-4 average days. Generator has been removed, sold for $1250 and bought a Honda EU2200i, converted to propane and it actually is enough to run the Mini-split. Have to keep AC thermostat high until things are up and running, but it works. Haven't ever used it in action yet.
You're not naive, like us all you're overly optimistic. The issues we run into is the two 330W & the two 100W on the roof are flat so in the summer when the sun is overhead they work great but solar gain is minimal most any other time. ie: two 330W panels flat will hit 620W at high noon but drops off to 100W to 200W watts by mid-late afternoon. The big issue is we do National and State Parks when we're not boon-docking so we are in the trees 90% of the time. If we do a day trip we take the RV and find an open area to park to get some charging. We are rarely anyplace longer than 3-4 days so it works out well. Batteries mainly get us through until we drive.

Either, you design your system to conform to your usage or you conform to the system you can fit/afford. In our case I squeezed in all I could and we make it work.

Looking at 300lb of battery (13lb ea.). I believe it's a 150A alternator, have switch for the Renogy DC-DC converter to initially charge at 50%. For consumption, not sure exactly, the Thornwave power monitor measures the total of the input and output. 1600Ah will get us through 2-4 average days. Generator has been removed, sold for $1250 and bought a Honda EU2200i, converted to propane and it actually is enough to run the Mini-split. Have to keep AC thermostat high until things are up and running, but it works. Haven't ever used it in action yet.
You're not naive, like us all you're overly optimistic. The issues we run into is the two 330W & the two 100W on the roof are flat so in the summer when the sun is overhead they work great but solar gain is minimal most any other time. ie: two 330W panels flat will hit 620W at high noon but drops off to 100W to 200W watts by mid-late afternoon. The big issue is we do National and State Parks when we're not boon-docking so we are in the trees 90% of the time. If we do a day trip we take the RV and find an open area to park to get some charging. We are rarely anyplace longer than 3-4 days so it works out well. Batteries mainly get us through until we drive.

Either, you design your system to conform to your usage or you conform to the system you can fit/afford. In our case I squeezed in all I could and we make it work.
I hear you!... Thanks again for sharing, and happy holidays!

Back