diy solar

diy solar

Hey, I'm mad and here to learn

randd0

Energy prices continue to soar, and my most recent energy bill was $500. I don't like it, and I'm here to research the feasibility of a solar system installation. I know nothing and will spend some time reading your sticky posts and performing general research. I have a background in technology, an inquisitve nature, and a desire to learn. I reached out to my energy provider, asking for basic info and if they provided any rebates. They responded with this canned email that feels like they're trying to talk me out of solar. I don't know maybe they're just trying to be helpful, but I'm just aggravated in general. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide. Cheers.

"No sir, but if you decide to research solar installations, a few questions you can ask yourself and some research based on your personal situation are important:

1. How much does the solar unit cost (plus installation) that I would like to purchase?
2. What expenses may exist when I replace my shingles on my roof if I have a roof-top solar unit?
3. How many kWhs do I use in any given year? And how many kWhs will this particular system generate if located on my roof (this is tricky, because the representative of the installer may tell you something based on national data and not know the specific production level in south Louisiana). A realistic number is crucial here.
4. How long will this unit last?
5. You can use the answers to the above questions to determine how much this solar unit will cost you per kWh. This number can be compared to your utility bill to see if it will workout mathematically for you.
6. From this resource a basic solar unit (6-kWh) costs $16,000 - $21,000 ( https://www.marketwatch.com/picks/guides/home-improvement/are-solar-panels-worth-it/ )and produces between 400 to 1,000 kWhs per month ( https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/how-much-does-a-6kw-solar-power-system-cost-and-how-much-electricity-does-it-produce ). With the center of these estimates a calculation could be as such:
a. $18,000 to produce 700 kWhs per month.
b. If a utility rate is at *13 cents per kWh then each month of 700 kWhs would be valued at .13 x 700 = $91.00 per month value
c. At $18,000 to install (remember this does not take into account additional charges of maintenance and charges associated with reroofing your home with the panels attached) earning ~$91.00 per month, $18,000/$91.00 = 198 months to recoup your investment. That is 16.5 years. If you feel this unit will last longer than 16.5 years and will generate at optimum levels in South Louisiana, then the investment may be worth it.
*this dollar amount is accurate at this time and at record levels, but was ~1.5 cents less in January and even less in 2021."

Do I need to head in a northwesterly direction? Is a solar system an exercise in futility because of my location at the bottom of our great nation?

As long as you have the space for panels and a clear view of the southern sky, LA is perfect for solar. The only place better is NM/AZ/SoCal.... The problem is installed solar isn't cheap which is why a lot of us are DIYing.

I do have a clear view of the southern sky. I live on a small lake, and my house gets blasted by the sun. I'm a DIYer in general and have a friend that's an electrician.

Energy prices continue to soar, and my most recent energy bill was $500. I don't like it, and I'm here to research the feasibility of a solar system installation. I know nothing and will spend some time reading your sticky posts and performing general research. I have a background in technology, an inquisitve nature, and a desire to learn. I reached out to my energy provider, asking for basic info and if they provided any rebates. They responded with this canned email that feels like they're trying to talk me out of solar. I don't know maybe they're just trying to be helpful, but I'm just aggravated in general. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide. Cheers.

"No sir, but if you decide to research solar installations, a few questions you can ask yourself and some research based on your personal situation are important:

1. How much does the solar unit cost (plus installation) that I would like to purchase?
2. What expenses may exist when I replace my shingles on my roof if I have a roof-top solar unit?
3. How many kWhs do I use in any given year? And how many kWhs will this particular system generate if located on my roof (this is tricky, because the representative of the installer may tell you something based on national data and not know the specific production level in south Louisiana). A realistic number is crucial here.
4. How long will this unit last?
5. You can use the answers to the above questions to determine how much this solar unit will cost you per kWh. This number can be compared to your utility bill to see if it will workout mathematically for you.
6. From this resource a basic solar unit (6-kWh) costs $16,000 - $21,000 ( https://www.marketwatch.com/picks/guides/home-improvement/are-solar-panels-worth-it/ )and produces between 400 to 1,000 kWhs per month ( https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/how-much-does-a-6kw-solar-power-system-cost-and-how-much-electricity-does-it-produce ). With the center of these estimates a calculation could be as such:
a. $18,000 to produce 700 kWhs per month.
b. If a utility rate is at *13 cents per kWh then each month of 700 kWhs would be valued at .13 x 700 = $91.00 per month value
c. At $18,000 to install (remember this does not take into account additional charges of maintenance and charges associated with reroofing your home with the panels attached) earning ~$91.00 per month, $18,000/$91.00 = 198 months to recoup your investment. That is 16.5 years. If you feel this unit will last longer than 16.5 years and will generate at optimum levels in South Louisiana, then the investment may be worth it.
*this dollar amount is accurate at this time and at record levels, but was ~1.5 cents less in January and even less in 2021."
You need to look at several different scenarios before you can decide if solar is right for you.

How many Kwh per month year round do you use? How much is the current cost from grid per Kwh including fees and taxes?

Will you borrow the money? Will the power company allow grid tie? Will you be better off with an off grid system with batteries? Will you be able to install yourself and do you possess the knowledge needed not only for a capable system but one that is safe?

Many more questions and scenarios but this should give you a start.

$500 a month? If that $0.13/kWh quote is true, you're using 3.8 megawatts a month. 128 kWh a day.
That's a huge amount of energy. Way too much for solar... or anything, for that matter.

I do very well with solar. I use 3 kWh a day.
-

You need to look at several different scenarios before you can decide if solar is right for you.

How many Kwh per month year round do you use? How much is the current cost from grid per Kwh including fees and taxes?

Will you borrow the money? Will the power company allow grid tie? Will you be better off with an off grid system with batteries? Will you be able to install yourself and do you possess the knowledge needed not only for a capable system but one that is safe?

Many more questions and scenarios but this should give you a start.
- Anywhere from 1400 to 3600 Kwh per month. My house is 3200 sq/ft and has 2 AC units and a pool. I'm not trying to go off-grid, just offset some of the outrageous energy costs.

Monthly Service Charge $12.00
Energy Charge 3,334 kWh @ 0.056842 $189.51
PCA 3,334 kWh @ 0.07221 $240.75
FF-CR Rider 3,334 kWh @ -0.00017 -$0.57
Formula Rate Plan $27.71
Slr Rider 2 $2.69
RLM Rider 1 Units @ -$5.00 -$5.00
Roundup Amt $0.91
Total Current Charges for this Account $468.00

-They will allow a grid tie, and I will not borrow money. I would like a system tied to the grid with enough battery to run my fridge and a couple of window units in the event of an outage. I'm open to overseeing the installation and using subs within my network where necessary.

-Do I possess the knowledge today? No. But am I capable of obtaining the knowledge and building a safe, robust system? Yes.

If you want to run when it is cloudy or at night, then add batteries to cover that. But it may be cheaper to just use the grid for those times.

Unless you get smoking deals on all components, and consider any labor you put into as free, it is just about impossible to beat the kwh price of the utility company. They have benefit of scale that you do not. The email they sent if anything was being optimistic as to numbers.

Now that said there are some other factors for those going grid tied and thus not needing large amount of storage batteries for when the sun don't shine. If your utility is forced to provide 1 for 1 (for every 1kwh you send them they give you back 1kwh) than it is possible to amortize a large solar system install fairly quickly. Plus there is possible Federal and State tax rebates that can offset equipment costs.

I would say the email they sent you was a fair analysis of the situation.

ETA: Must admit my July's electric Bill was an all time high thanks to the heat. It hit $88.64! this was using upwards of 20kwh/day because of AC requirements with average Hi temp 92F and low 72F. This is about double my average bill and a good 30 % higher than last July was.

Last edited:
If your utility is forced to provide 1 for 1 (for every 1kwh you send them they give you back 1kwh)
I believe that is the case for my utility company, but I will verify. Unfortunately, my state tax rebates expired years ago, but I believe there is a 26% federal rebate still in play.

I believe that is the case for my utility company, but I will verify. Unfortunately, my state tax rebates expired years ago, but I believe there is a 26% federal rebate still in play.
That is a tax credit. And it may go up to 30% if legislation makes it through the Senate.

The following example compares the savings with the traditional net metering policy and the newly approved policy:

Let’s say in one month, your home uses 1,000 kWh of electricity and your solar panels produce 600 kWh of solar energy.

Under the previous net metering policy, the energy your solar panel system produced would offset some of the energy your home consumed. The energy your solar panels produced would be credited at the full retail rate, and you would only be billed for 400 kWh. By using the EIA’s average retail rate of electricity for Louisiana, your electric bill would be $38.64, with a total savings of $57.96.

With the buy-all, sell-all net metering policy, the utility would pay you at the avoided cost rate for the 600 kWh your system produced. You would also be billed at the retail rate for all 1,000 kW your home consumed. By using an avoided cost rate of $0.03, your savings would amount to $18.00, thereby making the final electric bill total $78.60.

I must get out of this state. This has quite an impact on my decision to go solar or not.

Definitely get details on their Net-metering plan. That will make a difference on how you design your system.

I cannot see a way to justify solar to reduce a bill when your utility is 13 cent/KWh.
In order for this investment to make any sense at all you must have a goal that goes beyond that. You need to be interested in energy security or a backup system. Your not going to recover your money so you need other reasons. Now if you live in one of those places where you cannot remember the last time the power went out then your justifications drop to almost zero. If you have blackouts a few times a year then for your system to be useful you will need an AIO Inverter with enough batteries to last through your typical blackout.

I cannot see a way to justify solar to reduce a bill when your utility is 13 cent/KWh.
In order for this investment to make any sense at all you must have a goal that goes beyond that. You need to be interested in energy security or a backup system. Your not going to recover your money so you need other reasons. Now if you live in one of those places where you cannot remember the last time the power went out then your justifications drop to almost zero. If you have blackouts a few times a year then for your system to be useful you will need an AIO Inverter with enough batteries to last through your typical blackout.

If one is just covering blackouts, then a generator is the way to go.

The Co-op I’m with won’t spend the money to go underground for utilities so power is out every time the wind blows.

That was the biggest reason for me.
Plus the fact that they are a co-op and raise the prices whenever they feel like it.

@.12 kWh it’s gonna take 12 years of no problems to pay back and I did all the work myself.

You definitely have to have a reason other than money for doing Solar.

It’s viable for certain things but not cheaper than utilities buy a long stretch.

Back