diy solar

diy solar

Hi All

DJ Jorge

I am very new to all this solar panel world. I would like to learn more. Good book I can get maybe in Amazon? Also I would like to see if it is possible to set up some solar panels to use for my air conditioner. Just only for the air conditioner, is that possible. I have a 110 DC inverter and would like to start with that only. Won't be using it all day just 6 to 8 hours mostly during night.

Let me know if something like this is possible and please let me know of any good book I can get.

Thank You Very much,
DJ Jorge

Welcome!
The link at the top of the page diy solar blueprints has tons of free info, and there is a link to Will’s book on Amazon.

inverter minisplits get tied to solar all the time.
There are even models that have dc input designed for solar operation exclusively.
But using yours with solar, and a battery bank with an inverter should not be an issue.

Your e-books are all right here. Look at the small system plans and videos Will created, browse the threads.

It is possible but not cheap to power an A/C with solar. First problem is motor starting surge, about 5x nameplate rating. A 500W window air conditioner needs 2500W to start, a small 2000W central A/C needs 10,000W.

Do you have grid power available? If so, you can run A/C from the grid and hook up a grid-tie PV inverter to offset the power.

I do run my A/C (and the entire house) during grid failures with a relatively small battery and large PV array. But daytime only; at night only small loads.

I figure PV costs $0.025/kWh amortized over 10 years, grid-tie PV system $0.050
Batteries cost $0.20 to $1.00/kWh and battery system $0.25 to $2.00/kWh

So better to create cold while the sun shines, rather than at night.
You could get a chest freezer, build ice while the sun shines and duct cool air from it for nighttime cooling.

Try designing a notional system around the PV production, battery storage, and inverter needed for your application.

Welcome!
The link at the top of the page diy solar blueprints has tons of free info, and there is a link to Will’s book on Amazon.

inverter minisplits get tied to solar all the time.
There are even models that have dc input designed for solar operation exclusively.
But using yours with solar, and a battery bank with an inverter should not be an issue.
Thanks you, will be looking up the books in Amazon.

Back