diy solar

diy solar

Hi! Considering an off grid setup, advice appreciated.

Met with the local electric coop engineer. Underground is really the best option so it would cost $6k to the electric coop, and $6k for trenching IF they don't run into bedrock or large rocks which is common around here...
So, I really don't want to pay 12k to be on the grid.
Here is my plan and feel free to comment.

MPP LV6548 interter
5kw of Lithium batteries - probably going to make them myself
I found 12 395w bifacial new solar panels about 3hrs from my house for $2k.

I think this setup will be sufficient for most of our needs. A large portion of the time we don't need both AC units running. And I'll have a generator in the setup for times when needed, cloudy periods etc.

I plan on building a structure for the panels.

Thanks for yalls help!

Sounds like a plan. Many are moving towards server rack battery packs instead of diy. About $1800 for 5 kw. See currentconnected.com. And read up on eg4 before you decide to go that route.

Sorry, I meant three 5kw 48v batteries. I've watched Will's videos on the EG4 and SOK server rack batteries. Love the simplicity they provide but would like to save some money if I can build the equivalent.

It has two 15k A/C units. I wouldn't mind running a off grid setup and using a generator for times when extra power is needed.

5kw of Lithium batteries - probably going to make them myself

Your not even close on battery size, with that type of load you will need a much larger and expensive battery. Even at 12K for grid, it will be lower cost than a marginal DYI off-grid setup that would will come to regret doing in this situation you have detailed.

Yeah. Conservation (aka minisplit) would probably need to be part of the mix. Roughly 1000 watts/hour depending on several factors.

Pretty warm this time of year. lots of time in the warm Sea of Cortez.
Had the home 8 years. Full time for 3 years now. Love living here.
You can live on very little money down here. My annual land lease is just over 1100 dollars a year. no more sky high car insurance payments. Diesel is 2 bucks a gallon less than Calif.

Back