diy solar

diy solar

Hi everyone looking if Ali express is a good site to buy from or not

Thank you for your honest opinion Robby as that is what I am looking for. Not looking to waist money on a bad site .

Hi i was looking at some batteries on Ali express can i trust that site i was looking at getting the ones here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004362833467.html?spm=a2g0o.placeorder.0.0.31f8321eBlmdw4&mp=1 as i am new any help would be great thank you for your time .
Store No.1102121056
This store has been open since May 25,2022
I'm not sure about the store that has been open for only about a month.
Free shipping all the way from China to US for something that heavy?

Hi i was looking at some batteries on Ali express can i trust that site i was looking at getting the ones here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004362833467.html?spm=a2g0o.placeorder.0.0.31f8321eBlmdw4&mp=1 as i am new any help would be great thank you for your time .
I have never bought anything from Ali Barba, Ali epress, or any other Ali.

I might someday buy a pallet of something to resell but I’m askeered of missrepresented products, flaky loyalty to ethics, and just plain loss of funds and three month shipping times.

For something to depend on Amazone is about as low as I’d stoop.

Aliexpress can be great for electronic components and stuff, but I wouldn't buy "serious" stuff like a server rack battery.

I am a "heavy" Aliexpress user, and I have bought some smaller Lifepo4 cells from them, but I was lucky... I have heard so many horror stories from those who tried to buy some larger cells/batteries on Aliexpress, that I would stay away.

If you are in the U.S. I think that you have alot of great options from local suppliers.

I've bought from AliExpress a lot... I've received everything I ever purchased. The key for me is, I always make sure the seller has only a 5.0 feedback, and read all the reviews, make sure they say good seller...

The problem is that some sellers have fake feedback... If they all give 5 stars, its a bit suspicious.

The problem is that some sellers have fake feedback... If they all give 5 stars, its a bit suspicious.

Yeah, there could be risk I suppose. The stress-factor rises with the price you paid for the item on linear scale. The most expensive purchase I made was around $2300, and so that's whatever the shipping time takes in days, worth of stress.

I basically buy the part, pretend I donated the money to charity, and forget about it. Then in 2.5 months or whatever the part shows up on my doorstep, and I am really excited (and thankful) to see it finally get here hehe...

Then later, I'm more likely to try and buy using those same sellers, because I actually know they were good to me before.

I have bought tons of stuff from both AliExpress and Alibaba. A lot of various circuit boards since I was doing some Arduino designs. My only bad experience was recently where $23 of Heltec balancers never made it. I put in a dispute and my money was refunded to my credit card.

For example, my 10 280AH Eve batteries were bought through Alibaba and my 3 JBD BMS boards were bought through the JBD store on Aliexpress. Listen to people who have actually bought from them vs people that say they will never buy from them.

Why would you buy the same thing from Overkill when you can buy it at almost a third of the price? Guess Where Overkill buys theirs!

Last edited:
Why would you buy the same thing from Overkill when you can buy it at almost a third of the price? Guess Where Overkill buys theirs!

Basically for me it all boils down to, how soon do I need the part, vs cost/risk. If I need it right away, I can pay OverKill or other USA seller and get it here fast (at the premium price), but if I have the time to wait for a bit I can save money and get it directly overseas.

There is another option too though. One time I went on AliExpress, and searched for 280Ah cells USA Ship, and found a seller where they had a button (like under 'color' or something) where one selected, said 'Ships from China', but they had another button where when selected, said 'Fast Ship to USA', where the 8 cells were like $100 bucks more, but they actually shipped from Canada, and got to me in 5 days. They were still cheaper by a decent margin to USA sellers. Sometimes these AliExpress sellers have warehouses in California, Canada, or wherever, to ship faster to USA addresses...

Basically for me it all boils down to, how soon do I need the part, vs cost/risk. If I need it right away, I can pay OverKill or other USA seller and get it here fast (at the premium price), but if I have the time to wait for a bit I can save money and get it directly overseas.

There is another option too though. One time I went on AliExpress, and searched for 280Ah cells USA Ship, and found a seller where they had a button (like under 'color' or something) where one selected, said 'Ships from China', but they had another button where when selected, said 'Fast Ship to USA', where the 8 cells were like $100 bucks more, but they actually shipped from Canada, and got to me in 5 days. They were still cheaper by a decent margin to USA sellers. Sometimes these AliExpress sellers have warehouses in California, Canada, or wherever, to ship faster...
The seller I bought my 280AH cells carries them in the US too.

Aliexpress is not a seller and gives little to NO protection to the buyer.

The link is to JOSMA and has been in business just over a month. Forget the ratings as those are fake. This is not like the early days of eBay when ratings were mostly honest. Skip this seller and post what you are looking to buy to get some recommended suppliers.

Don't spend money you can't afford to lose is how I think about Ali et al.

Treat any of those sites like you should treat speculative investing. You don't really know what you're getting into and you have no easy recourse if your money vaporizes.

Then how come I received a credit to my credit card after I put in a dispute when I didn't receive my order. I received my refund from Aliexpress.
View attachment 101239
Because Ali held the money until satisfactory completion of the transaction. You are one of the lucky ones.
Plenty of stories posted that did not go so well.

Ali is primarily a broker similar to Amazon and eBay. Companies list the goods on Ali to get search exposure to find customers.
And yes you can sign up today and sell stuff yourself to Amazon and eBay customers.

Aliexpress, imo, is totally fine for BMS, charge controller, Inverters, monitoring hardware... As long as you know which to buy and only get them from there official aliexpress stores (because they make Chinese clone of good Chinese products.)
But batteries, I would say to get them from local resellers of reputable brands if possible.

In my case I was able to get my hand on used data center batteries from the local market for half the price I would have paid for Aliexpress batteries (The shipping cost was the deal breaker).

I have bought many of the electrical and electronic parts for a solar install on AliExpress.
All of these parts arrived as described and are working well (so far one small business Hankzore BMS store as delivered well on several orders)
The problem is BATTERIES!!
I bought 16 LiFePo 200Ah batteries (Supposedly New, Matched, and Balanced), What turned up 10 weeks later was 16 very old, second hand, many bulging and all of them in the range of 120 to 140Ah.
Nine of them had damaged threads on the terminals, I fixed those on the copper terminals with an M8 tap, but you can't do that with the terminals that have stainless helicoil inserts.
I was basically sent very old cells which have been ripped out of public transport vehicles (Buses, etc) when their capacity has become bad.
You are not able to tell exactly how old the cells are as the seller removed CALBs serial number barcode label and put a false one on instead.
All the cells have the same serial number and date of 19/10/19.
You have to wonder just how old the batteries are when somebody opts to make them appear nearly 3 years old.
The Cells also turned up with only 2.8 to 2.9V on them, which means they were almost completely discharged, and were in that state for months.
CALB mentions twice in its cell manual that if the cell voltage is under 3.0V, do not leave like this and recharge as soon as possible.
The Sellers name on AliExpress is "Ogreen Lifepo4 cell Store"
I did a lot of reading of feedbacks, and looked for a seller with a good level of sales with non false looking feedback including pictures.
I have been in dispute through Ali for two weeks now, and seem to be getting nowhere.
Ali judges that I could send the cells back at sellers cost, then strongly states this is not doable, and I should accept £46 refund.
When it comes to buying batteries on Ali, you seem to have better odds putting your money on RED or BLACK.

I have the same problems with 32 x 280Ah. Neither "Ogreen Lifepo4 cell Store" nor Aliexpress are willing to help me. So I wasted many thousands of euros and hundreds of hours for very bad LFP cells. Aliexpress just ignores my evidence that I spent hours collecting. China shops are a thing of the past for me.

Do not buy batteries from Aliexpress.

Back