diy solar

diy solar

Hi Everyone, this is my first setup and would appreciate feedback

Thanks. I've been around the block a few times, and am four decades into my career.

You don't need to run the refrigerators at night, only when the sun shines. Ice/phase change is a cheaper way to store energy than chemical reactions.

PV permits may be expedited and inexpensive, but only for on-roof installations.
If you get a simple system permitted and approved for connection by the utility, then expand it later, I won't tell.

You can also get a hybrid inverter which operates on PV priority and doesn't backfeed. That could be set up as an appliance plugged into an outlet, with refrigeration running off it. Some sort of priority switch controlling loads based on state of charge would let a small battery bounce along fully charged.

I'm not sure which brands are the simplest for such implementation.
SMA Sunny Boy can backfeed the grid for net metering, and manually switch to a "secure power" 2000W outlet during grid failures. Might run the refrigerator.
I run my Sunny Island battery inverters together with Sunny Boy, backfeeding the grid or as a UPS during grid failures. Not sure it can support PV priority without cycling the batteries. Their newer "Sunny Boy Storage" 400V battery inverters might help with that.
I think Enphase can be set up for zero backfeed, supplying up to the power your house consumes.
Several other brand hybrid inverters to choose from.

Thanks again @Hedges I'm going to take your suggestions and create some concept diagrams and see if it makes sense for my home.

-V

Two inverters unless they are designed specifically to work together in tandem will need to be isolated into two different systems. Each of your inverters can pull over 125 Amps, you'll need a 250A DC breaker - MidNite solar has them fairly cheaply. Power supplies? I'd ditch the two inverters, and the two power supplies and get ONE larger Inverter/Charger, your system will work so much better if the inverter controls the charger - you could probably even find one that integrates the MPPT charge controller - the better your system communicates with itself, the better your results will be. Plus it is nice to have a system you can ignore for a few days...

Back