diy solar

diy solar

Hi from Brisbane, Australia

Matz

Hi, just wanted to say "hi". I am Matthias from Brisbane, Australia.
I am still learning about Solar, so far I have setup a small system that was originally intended to be a solar generator, but ended up running my office and domestic fridges.
My aim is to test and play with the components, just for fun.
At the moment I am redesigning my solar shed to allow for more tests to run in parallel, while still keeping my office powered.

I am still learning about Solar, so far I have setup a small system that was originally intended to be a solar generator, but ended up running my office and domestic fridges.
At the moment I am redesigning my solar shed to allow for more tests to run in parallel, while still keeping my office powered.
Hello my name is Peter Brigg and I live in Brisbane-Cleveland. I have been using LIFEPO4 batteries for my electric bikes for about the last 15 years 36v and have replaced cells in the pack-changed BMS and so on. Now I am looking at building a 12v battery for use in a sailboat and also another 12v battery for use when camping-to run a fridge and lighting. I want to talk to other people who do this so i buy cells that really are good quality at a reasonable price. I also am a bit suspicious of BMS and for a 4 cell 12v setup i would like to monitor cell voltage etc manually for a start. Is there a Brisbane group that I can meet up with to discuss this type of battery? Thanks Peter

Hello my name is Peter Brigg and I live in Brisbane-Cleveland. I have been using LIFEPO4 batteries for my electric bikes for about the last 15 years 36v and have replaced cells in the pack-changed BMS and so on. Now I am looking at building a 12v battery for use in a sailboat and also another 12v battery for use when camping-to run a fridge and lighting. I want to talk to other people who do this so i buy cells that really are good quality at a reasonable price. I also am a bit suspicious of BMS and for a 4 cell 12v setup i would like to monitor cell voltage etc manually for a start. Is there a Brisbane group that I can meet up with to discuss this type of battery? Thanks Peter

HI Peter, welcome. I’m actually up at Bulimba at the moment, live at Corlette, Port Stephens and on my way to Port Douglas. I have built two 280Ah batteries each with a Daly BMS and have no issues For my caravan. There are recommendations of where to buy cells from on this forum but more than happy to help you. You can monitor via app with a Daly BMS.

Hi Matz, Welcome, I’m from Corlette, Port Stephens. Hope you get addicted :ROFLMAO:

HI Peter, welcome. I’m actually up at Bulimba at the moment, live at Corlette, Port Stephens and on my way to Port Douglas. I have built two 280Ah batteries each with a Daly BMS and have no issues For my caravan. There are recommendations of where to buy cells from on this forum but more than happy to help you. You can monitor via app with a Daly BMS.
Thanks for the reply' I live in Cleveland Q and perhaps I can meet you sometime over Easter. My son and I share a small sailing boat and he is on it at the moment with his family so I might be called away sometime-the boat is on the west side of North Stradbroke at present.
My experience with BMS has been mixed-on one occasion I think the BMS ruined a battery for me. With a 12v system i find it is not much bother to balance the 4 cells manually however when I get up to a 36v system a BMS (that works) seems to me to be essential.
LIFEPO4 is the way to go-Liion perhaps a bit inclined to cause fires.
Have used 18650 Li ion in torches and other smaller items recently put 6 of them in parallel then put 9 of these in series for a 36v elec bike battery standby and that works well.(bought a spot welder to link them up-the dodgy one from eBay never worked) My contact details are 0448840876 or pwbrigg@yahoo.com.au. I drive locally but don't enjoy big city traffic. Can use public transport to get to Bulimba however if you wanted to see Cleveland by all means visit and we can show you around this seaside place.

Our other interests are small scale gardening-we used to be commercial farmers but now retired

Thanks for the reply' I live in Cleveland Q and perhaps I can meet you sometime over Easter. My son and I share a small sailing boat and he is on it at the moment with his family so I might be called away sometime-the boat is on the west side of North Stradbroke at present.
My experience with BMS has been mixed-on one occasion I think the BMS ruined a battery for me. With a 12v system i find it is not much bother to balance the 4 cells manually however when I get up to a 36v system a BMS (that works) seems to me to be essential.
LIFEPO4 is the way to go-Liion perhaps a bit inclined to cause fires.
Have used 18650 Li ion in torches and other smaller items recently put 6 of them in parallel then put 9 of these in series for a 36v elec bike battery standby and that works well.(bought a spot welder to link them up-the dodgy one from eBay never worked) My contact details are I drive locally but don't enjoy big city traffic. Can use public transport to get to Bulimba however if you wanted to see Cleveland by all means visit and we can show you around this seaside place.

Our other interests are small scale gardening-we used to be commercial farmers but now retired
Hi Peter, Firstly remove you email and phone number from your post otherwise will get all sorts of spam.

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately I had my vehicle stolen on the first night here in Bulimba. Our trip to Port Douglas has now had to be cancelled and we are flying back to Newcastle on Saturday. Had to leave the caravan here as it has an off-road hitch and a weight distribution here so we cant get anything to tow it back home. Would have loved to visit Cleveland but unfortunately it cant be this time around.

You should have two means of controlling the charging of the batteries being the solar controller and the BMS so unsure why one didn't shut off.

Have sent you a private message Peter.

Back