diy solar

diy solar

Hi from Central BC, Canada

Sorry, not getting notifications for this thread for some reason. I'm actually in northern BC. I will not be leaving them there all winter. We don't use the cabin in the winter.
Ops, must have mixed you up with the guy from Surrey.
You could leave the batteries there over the winter disconnected. The cold will not wreck them if they are not charging/discharging. Leave them at a SOC about 60% and they would be fine. For the cost though, I would be inclined to take them home for the winter, maybe connect a small back up system at home for the winter months.

Note: for the solar PV panels, mounting to galv strut you would be wise to put stainless steel spacers between the anodized alum and the galv strut, as there will be a small galv reaction between the two dissimilar metals. Typically guys are using the WEEB grounding washers to both space the alum off the galv, and to ensure the grounding of the anodized aluminum.
I see you put the PV rack pretty close to the lake, does this lake level ever go higher during spring thaw?
Any big waves or ice on this lake? I know where I live I couldn't be that close to the water with my PV, not sure about your location conditions.
Just something to think about. Costs nothing to think about it.

Note: for the solar PV panels, mounting to galv strut you would be wise to put stainless steel spacers between the anodized alum and the galv strut, as there will be a small galv reaction between the two dissimilar metals. Typically guys are using the WEEB grounding washers to both space the alum off the galv, and to ensure the grounding of the anodized aluminum.
I see you put the PV rack pretty close to the lake, does this lake level ever go higher during spring thaw?
Any big waves or ice on this lake? I know where I live I couldn't be that close to the water with my PV, not sure about your location conditions.
Just something to think about. Costs nothing to think about it.
Thanks for the reply. The lake is as high as it's ever going to get right now. We had a melt once, back in the nineties where it came up on the lawn. The bottom of the panels will still end up about a foot above the ground or so. If the lake comes up that much, I will have way more important things to worry about than the panels. It's a small lake, biggest waves are made from surfers, which are small but annoying (cue old man yelling at kids meme) I'll get some big stainless washers to put in between the cantruss and panels.

I've gone down the rabbit hole with generators the last couple of days. Spent way too much time researching and coming up with a way for the thing to be started and turned off by the lv6548. Can't really find too much in the way of dual fuel, inverter, electric start, closed frame, 4000ish watt units that are readily available. Looking like it's gonna be a firman from Costco and I'll set it up with an Atkinson gscm mini to make it automatic. May no be the best quality generator out there, but it's Costco, so it'll be fine.

There can be trouble with some Gensets, that the inverter will not accept if the waveform is not stable enough.
I have a Honda 3000i and a 8600 Champion and they both work with my MPP 6048's
The dual fuel is a great option, if you can find one.

I don't know anything about Cosco, but if they have good return policy then that would be helpful.
I know they don't make anything. They are a retailer.
The issues with the generators and inverters seems to be about how clean the AC sine wave is, and how the inverters 'see' that sine wave.
Anyway just cautioning you, there are lots of threads on this forum about even high quality generators not working with some inverters. I was worried the champion may not work with my inverters, but it worked out ok in my case. Be sure if your system is 120/240 that your generator is too, and check on the ground/neutral bonds, many generators have internal N/G bond internally.

I did a thing today!
20230512_143515.jpg
All mounted with stainless washers underneath, between the cantruss and panels.
Then I did another thing!
20230512_171002.jpg
20230512_171023.jpg
20230512_171030.jpg
20230512_171035.jpg
Had to go under multiple roots. Sucked big time, but got it done. I'm too old for that sh!t. I'll be back out there again tomorrow morning.

I also bought a firman WH03242. I've been talking with Atkinson Electronics and they've supplied me with schematics and a part's list for it. It was a comedy of errors, to say the least. I tried to contact them, they took 2 days to get back to me. I grew impatient and ordered a board. This morning they finally got back to me, got me the drawings and stuff. Then I get an additional email from someone else within the company telling me to contact https://cprbestek.com/en/ and order through them if I'm in Canada, which I am. I look through their site and the gscm modules are way cheaper through them than ordering through the official site in the states. So I email Atkinson and tell them to cancel the order as I'll order through they're Canadian distributor, which they do. Then I go to re-order through the Canadian distributor and they don't list the specific model number that is listed under the schematic that was provided. So I contact them again and ask if any of the other models that they list will work and was told no. So I've now emailed the Canadian distributor to ask if they can get this specific model, but I fully anticipate that they'll say no and I'll have to re-order through the official site again. What a fuck around...

Came out early this morning and got after it.
20230513_095609.jpgHappy to say that I have voltage to the combiner box. Each array is making 195 volts and there is 195 total coming out of the box, so it's doing its job.
20230513_145412.jpg
All filled in excess cabling tie wrapped up.
20230513_145457.jpg
20230513_150627.jpg
This week I'll have to get a grounding rod and some terminals so I can finish up the array for good. Then it will just be connecting loads and set up.

Bit of an update...

Any of you guys have an old man that is difficult to deal with?

So I did the math on the amperage that will be coming from the panels and it should never exceed 18.6 amps. I asked the old timer if he was sure that 14/2 couldn't handle that amperage. He went on about how code has changed and he thinks that it should work, especially because it's buried underground. I say great, then we can move everything up top and use the old Kubota 7.5kw genset that is already up there and also has a 2 wire remote start already hooked up to it. He says "I like that idea, lets use what we have" I then get a text half way through the week that says "I think we need to bite the bullet and bury a new cable cause 14/2 won't cut it" I say no, we'll just use the new generator that I bought and stick with the original plan. He became insistent that we do it this way because if we don't that old generator will just be sitting there doing nothing and he wants to save some money. This is my money that he's talking about, btw and I couldn't give a shit about a 1200 dollar generator. I bought a 4500 dollar dock last week. But, you are always going to be your fathers child and he still thinks I'm 18 and hurting for cash, I'm 45 BTW. So it goes without saying that I had to bury a new 10/2 all the way from the old generator shack, down to the bunkie, digging most by hand and only using a trencher through the driveway because I ran out of steam. Then, he goes on a 2 week long golf holiday and I'm stuck doing this by myself. The real kicker is that the lv6548 might not even like the power coming from this old bastard and I may have to install the new one in there anyway, which would put me right back to where I was before I ran this new cable.
20230527_160703.jpg
In between the 2 boat houses.
20230527_160808.jpg
Other side of the second boat house. Had to go under the mother of all roots here.
20230527_160818.jpg
Up to the front corner of the cabin. I had originally planned on running it up the cabin and along the side of it, but then I got bury cable and not tech, so in the ground it went.
20230527_160828.jpg
Up the hill to the driveway.
20230527_160902.jpg
Across the driveway, used a trencher here.
20230527_160927.jpg
Up to the water tower, more roots to go under.
20230527_160941.jpg
Into the generator shack where the batteries and brain are installed now.
20230527_161111.jpg
Grossly overestimated how much cable I would need...

I've installed a splitter on the generator stand and all that it left is hook ups. All the had work is done. My one question is whether or not it is okay to use a standard cat6 patch cable for BMS communication with the batteries and the lv6548, or is there some special wizardry going on with those cables? I have cables and ends and the tool to make my own if there is some kind of specific way that it needs to be pinned and someone has a diagram kicking around...

I've also removed the ground neutral bond in the inverter itself and will be doing that in both my panels which are both main panels as they are separately run from the splitter and not off each other.

Thanks for following along this journey with me and I'm almost done I hope.

I have it running!!
20230609_151038.jpg
The extra cord hanging down is for the dry contact switch for my generator. I'm waiting on 2 generator plugs to show up and it will be complete. Right now, it's running on solar alone.
20230609_151106.jpg
This is the old girl I'm going to attempt to use. The bigger box on the right is the splitter that everything is wired into. From there it goes to both my panels. The box on the left is the remote start for the generator.
20230608_195041.jpg
20230608_195025.jpg
I cut holes in the door and installed a fan that runs whenever the generator fires up.
20230609_151046.jpg
I turned everything on and it just worked. Anti climactic, but what a cool thing to see. It's raining today and I'm heading back out this evening. We'll see how it does in the cloudy, rainy conditions....

How satisfying to flip a switch and see you got all the ducks in the right rows. Nice and clean job! Thanks for posting your updates.

Thanks. I'm wiring in 2 generator plugs and just going to wire in a 50 amp, 3 prong, twist lock extension cord from the generator. One plug will be wired to the ac in for the lv6548, the other one will be wired directly into the splitter. So when it's plugged into the ac in for the lv6548, it'll be controlled by the unit. When it's plugged into the splitter, it'll be able to bypass the solar system completely and function as it has for the last 25 years, with us turning it on and off as we choose. That'll all be done on Friday. I'll take more pictures of the entire install and accessories used.

Just got back. Rain and clouds did nothing negative to the system. We arrived around 6:30 in the evening to find that everything was running just fine and both batteries were fully charged. I changed all the bulbs over to leds and have very little load on right now. Just some fans and some lights. It'll be neat to see what happens once I get a fridge to replace the old propane one. Kiddo made some popcorn in the microwave last night and I made a pot of coffee this morning, what a treat ?

So I have completed the system...
20230616_130523.jpg
Yep, that's right, my old, Onan 7.5kw Kubota diesel genset works perfectly with the system. I didn't think it was going to, but whaddya know!
20230616_154207.jpg
20230616_154213.jpg
Here's the 2 plugs I installed. They're 50amp, 3 prong twist locks. So they'll work if I decide to get another lv6548 in the future for 220. I just have them wired in single phase at the moment. The plug on the right goes to the lv6548, the one on the left goes directly to the splitter to bypass the solar completely.
20230616_154245.jpg
Here's a shot of the gfi plug I wired directly to the splitter. I'm using that to run a battery tender for the generator.
20230616_154231.jpg
The dry contact switch from the lv6548 is run through this light switch. That way if there's a problem while the lv6548 is calling for the generator to be on, and I happen to be there of course, I can turn it of in an emergency.
20230616_130607.jpg
Here's a shot of the old girl with the big, 50 amp extension cord coming out of her and plugged in.

This concludes my wiring and installation of my system for now. There will be more steps with regards to setting up the batteries properly and getting BMS communication to work. I'm kinda regretting buying SPS branded batteries and not just shelling out a couple hundred bucks more for some SOK's, but meh, I'll get the comms to work eventually. Just gotta do some screwing around to make them work I think. I'm currently in the middle of an 18 day stretch of work here and won't make it back out there until July long weekend. I took a picture of the hour meter on the generator to see if it runs at all in my absence, but I don't anticipate it happening.

Thanks for reading and joining me on this journey. Cheers ?

Back